Ana Shif > Blog > Uncategorized > dana 24 circumnavigation. Judging by the many mistakes and shoddy work done on my boat I think there was more going on that I can ever know. SailboatData.com - DANA 24 (PACIFIC SEACRAFT) Sailboat This made moving the boat around in a marina tricky when it was windy as you need a bit of speed but then were unable to stop. The solution I have for this is to turn the Dana into a yawl with the addition of a small temporary mizzen mast. 25 knots of wind in the Straits of Gibraltar on route to Africa. There is a lot of wood down below in a Dana and varnishing that lot would take weeks, not to mention the dust and the mess. All credit would be given of course! Its facts like this that are not apparent to people new to sailing but seaworthyness and easy steering are basic traits that all yachts should possess. Website dana 24 circumnavigation However PSC have used it well as it makes a good thing to grab at sea and it also supports the table by the use of a stainless pin which slots into a hole in the post. You couldnt see this before. 11 METER OD ODR * (U)*. Good day, Boats, reviews, photography, bikes and an occasional rant. If the boat is kept clean and the weight kept out of her ends I have found the Dana to sail well in light airs. Its relatively easy to access the contents even though it is placed far aft in the galley. This is good news as it means that it can be polished many times before wearing through. My last boat was covered in varnish. The cockpit locker on the port side is virtually empty and can only be described as voluminous. Theres not much that can be done about this. Even the teak rubbing strake has a groove cut into it so that drips of water fall from the strake instead of running down the hull and making streaks. All I know is that I did get my boat and only a week late. metro nashville police call log. I did work on a Riva Aquarama for a while and they had taken anality to a whole new level with that but since its a speedboat and made of wood, the comparison is somewhat pointless. Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 - Cole Brothers Shows the way the substantial bowsprit platform is fitted on top of the bowsprit. The hatch above to look at the stars in bed i love iti had this before on one of my previous yachtsfantastic to look at the stars lying back on your bunk on a clear night. The lead ballast alone weighs 1.4 tons, or about 40% which is quite a lot by todays standards. Despite this, the capping is looking very worn in places with raised grain. Ill take the teak with all its issues thanks. This is something that very few modern boat builders consider properly. Island Packet 27 vs Pacific Seacraft Orion | SailNet Community Once the kids are out of college and the Mortgage is paid off and hopefullly I can still function properly, this is the one for me. I did this for many reasons. Most manufacturers use the thinnest they can get away with which is fine if you dont add any further electrics but this seems unlikely. The Dana is completely hand made using a variety of different cloths and then hand squeegied to get the very best cloth to resin ratio. Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 sailing to Sardinia, Mediterranean Land&Sea 457 subscribers Subscribe 107K views 4 years ago Video of DANA (a Pacific Seacraft - Dana 24) being hauled out for. Her easily driven hull slips through the water with an effortless grace and plenty of speed. 27 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27 - West Coast Yachts The combings are curved and comfy to lean back on. The wood can move so much that the glue line can simply break. The original owners had sold PSC to a Singapore company that ran the company for many years. "[6], Last edited on 16 November 2022, at 21:35, "Dana 24 sailboat specifications and details", "Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 review Ahoy! Money well spent. Explorers Who Circumnavigated The Globe - WorldAtlas The hatch on Doolittle is a Bomar venting hatch which is not standard, it was something I insisted on. To me, this is one of the Danas best features. PSCs solution was to leave a bigger glue gap working on the assumption that they didnt use enough glue. The Dana 24 is a cruiser that will feel at home anywhere winds blow more than five knots. I often wonder how many people get to fall asleep while looking at the stars. By flying the mizzen, she behaves impeccably at anchor facing directly into the wind as if aground. And the principles in the review can be applied to almost any boat. To find out more, please visit this page, To learn a bit more and see the Danas specifications visit Bluewaterboats.org. This is a hard job to do well and there is a lot of masking involved. All the boats I have sailed on that have a cut away in the rudder have had problematical steering. Bigger boats might be faster but when youre so happy and comfy at sea, whats the rush? Most people will look at two things when choosing a boat. Congratulations. The Dana has one peculiar trait that I have not yet managed to fully understand. The trick is not to pinch and to ease the sheets a little. The interior is Crealock at his best. The latex foam was a $400 option. Originally there were 4 solid teak washboards. The boat is all teak below. It is interesting that Americans led the way in the world of small boat voyaging. The important things in my opinion are not size (within linits) but good design and sound construction. Year 3: French Polynesia to Fiji, store in Fiji. It is lined with cedar and this gives a lovely smell to the clothes hung up in there. It makes the boat look better, it reduces weight and windage up forward and it means you can see the bowsprit for maintenance. I find the best sail set up for downwind sailing is to put the main on one side with a preventer line tied up forward. infiniti qx80 indicator lights. When we ordered Doolittle we asked PSC to fit a closed cupboard which has worked well. On the foredeck there is a raised centre moulding. kankakee daily journal obituaries. [1][3][5][6], The Dana 24 is a recreational keelboat, built predominantly of fiberglass, with wood trim. Circumnavigation Rallies as an Option for Novice Sailors. Its done this way because it reduces drag and makes the boat lighter but Ill take a fully protected rudder every time. Long exposure, early morning. When a boat is designed with accommodation in mind and the hull shape created afterwards all sorts of undesirable characteristics come to light. Dana Foundation Awards 11 Planning Grants for Potential Dana Centers for Neuroscience & Society. Milt Baker, senior contributing editor of Circumnavigator, who is cruising the Canadian Maritimes this summer with his wife, Judy, aboard their Nordhavn 47 Bluewater, sends along this photo and message: . I solved this by not having one. At one point we were knocked down. A measure of this confidence is the fact that we dont even carry a life raft. In some respects I wish that PSC had moved the seacock slightly to allow a more useful locker but its right in the middle. The Dana 24 is now built by Seacraft Yachts in the North West. Its simple things like this that make the Dana so excellent. She has quite a lot of sail area for a 24 foot boat and does everything very well indeed. It is also my year round home. Its a very helpful and interesting trait as its far more comfortable to pitch than roll. 1974 1988. So, a brilliant boat despite its 24 foot length. Water doesnt collect anywhere on a Dana, all the surfaces and locker openings have angles or deep gutters to allow the water to flow away. The Dana 24 is a recreational keelboat, built predominantly of fiberglass, with wood trim. The longest passage on our circumnavigation was crossing the Pacific Ocean at 19 days and 3,142 nm.. Our fastest passage was sailing to Australia when we averaged 7.76 knots over 4.7 days. The only problem with this is that it makes the already fairly boxy cabin look higher than it is. It was because we had been knocked down to 90 degrees and a wave had broken over the deck. Navigation Menu. The tank has a built in fuel gauge which can only be seen by lifting the floor. The fridge lid is sensibly made in two parts hinged in the middle so you dont have to shift everything off the top to get into the fridge. They can also be unzipped when leaving the boat for a bit of ventilation. Original: Jan 8, 2018. So manoeuvres had to be done slowly which was fine so long as there was no wind on the side of the boat. What happened? Mr. . There were other owners who had similar problems. Note how the capping ends at the bowsprit. dana 24 circumnavigation. So there you have a basic run down of the construction of the Dana. One time we were about 50 miles from Minorca when we were hit by a nasty storm. I also like the fact that a 3 cylinder engine is smoother by design than a twin. gregory alan isakov height; bell gully interview; alternate future of the world map maker; moonshiners mark ramsey age; who dies in danganronpa 3 anime On Doolittle, I soon modified the platform to mount on either side of the bowsprit. A huge splash as water was forced out from under the hull and our stomachs left us behind but apart from that nothing. Sailing into harbours is usually forbidden and with the amount of traffic at sea these days, a motor has become a necessity. Cape Dory 28 Sailboat Guide itajte i komentirajte. What follows is an article about living with a Dana 24. The design is a bit pants and could be improved. A beautiful boat that can be made offshore capable. Theres no place to stow anything over six feet long down below. If I need to consult or work on a chart I can use the floor or the bed. Considering how important a rudder is I applaud PSCs efforts. Where the capping is joined PSC fit dog bone inserts and I dont know if it was deliberate but theres a perfect place for two mugs of tea in the cockpit drains. This is the Dana deck mould. The liner is bonded in everywhere it touches. Magic carpet ride comfort aboard a Dana 24 mid Atlantic, Dana 24 for sale. Not many manufacturers today can say the same! If I had been in any other boat I might have been worried but the Dana is so solid and tough that I knew she wouldnt let us down. Fortunately, thanks to the good basic principals of PSC the tank is easily removed for replacement. No really. Resource Library View and download valuable assets Contact The table can swing up and stow when not in use. I totaly agree that the Dana 24 is the perfect little Big yacht. PHRF-NE BASE HANDICAPS 30 November 2020. The misconception being that big boats are better, more comfortable and faster. Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 boats for sale - Boat Trader We set the boat on course to run with it and stayed below poking our heads out every now and then. The boat is fitted with a Japanese Yanmar 2GM20F diesel engine of 18hp (13kW). Cape Dory 28 is a 8.6 m monohull sailboat designed by Carl Alberg and built by Cape Dory Yachts between 1974 and 1988. The seacock for the head sink must be closed when sailing on a port tack or the sink can fill with water. Because the boat is not built to a price, PSC only select the best products for it and its not just the obvious stuff like stoves and cleats, it goes much further than skin deep. The deck/cabin of mine had a number of bad design and construction faults that I have spent quite a few years correcting, one being water collecting in the cockpit seats and well. If you look closely at the video you will see that the waves are coming from the side of the boat and not the bows as it should do when a boat is correctly hove to. They even had the PSC logo embossed in the outside frames. The dining table slides out from its hiding place in a slot under the V-berth, supported by the stainless steel mast strut when in use. The Dana has a very nice deck. [1] [3] Behind the fridge is a useful cupboard although most Danas use this space to make a space wasting place for plates and cups. The 8 opening bronze port holes and the forehatch let in a lot of light and air if you want. What you end up with is a strong and trusty seaworthy boat that wont get sunk by accident. Don't consider it on a price for length basis, consider it on a price per pound basis comparing to similar boats: Pacific Seacraft 34 12,000lb is selling for $75-121k: $6.25-10/lb. The boat will take care of herself while you stay below and conserve your energy for any possible emergencies that might occur. It might be better to carry a spare engine fuel pump as they are very small and simply change it if it fails, rather than having a heavy, large and mostly useless electric pump in the engine bay. The foam is latex and even after 5 years of being slept on its lost nothing of its springyness and comfort. Some Danas had delaminating bowsprit problems. Great Voyages in Small Boats - Blue Water Sailing Often owners have reported leaks by the scuppers on the side decks. They do it because it breaks up the hull and makes it look longer. There is foot space for the settee berths under the V-berth, covered with cushions when not in use. This is something that almost no other manufacturer offers anymore but to my mind, a rudder is really important so it needs protecting and it needs to be strong. The layup is generous indeed and the Danas hull is much thicker than any other contemporary boat of the same length. We have additional specifications for the Dana . The headlining in the Dana needs special mention. I have sailed on a lot of boats which roll much worse. The rudder is fully protected behind the Danas full keel. The mast and rig on the Dana is also heavy duty yet simple. With the Dana the hull was designed first to be seaworthy and efficient with the accommodation being cleverly designed to fit within afterwards. No wonder PSC offered a 10 year hull warranty. Excellent review btw, I have been looking fo rthe right Dana 24 and when I find it Also I love the dark hull wish I cold find one with dark gelcoat like yours. Downwind the Dana is a witch. She is built to last. Even the saloon bunks are fully 2 metres long and easily wide enough for bottoms and sleeping. maltese rescue orange county A light boat might be faster but its more susceptible to waves and the quicker movement will tire you out quicker. Small boats are the best. It can take weeks to get a few coats on. | 24sata Ne zna to proputa! Autor de la publicacin Por ; Fecha de la publicacin value based healthcare porter pdf; i like the cut of your jib movie quote . dana 24 circumnavigation. dana 24 circumnavigation - kalpanateetha.com Doolittle has been sold. Clever stuff. dana 24 circumnavigation dana 24 circumnavigation Vijesti, najnovije vijesti iz Hrvatske i Svijeta - 24sata Doolittle has flush fitting locker doors using Soss invisible hinges. This picture shows the Danas spacious oiled teak interior. Of our time at sea, ten passages were longer than 1,000 nautical miles. 0 . The galley has a fully gimbling 2 burner oven and even a excellent, top loading well insulated 100 litre cold box. We found the right boat for $51,000, a 1988 with a Yanmar 2GM20F 18-horsepower, two-cylinder diesel engine. On most voyages we can expect to average about 120 miles a day (5 kts ave) and this is most respectable. Prijenosi uivo sa mjesta dogaaja. What an excellent review on a fantastic vessel. Quote: Originally Posted by Adelie. At the stern there is a gas locker which vents over the stern. I am 56 but a little round in the hips and in no way shape or form could get into that ice box! We had some heavy weather but no anxious moments. The Flicka lacked 6'+ headroom, and the Head in the Dana24 and PS31 was small, and the doorway narrow. This mizzen mast is also very helpful at the anchorage. Photo of Doolittle taken at Cannes by James Taylor Nikon D3 All photos in this post taken with a Leica Digilux 2 unless otherwise stated. dana 24 circumnavigation - pozitivailem.az Apart from these slight issues the Dana is not a hard boat to maintain. ("12:00am-1:00am")At around 12:00am, Kevin and Nick took two strippers and exited the club with them in their van. Wherever a pipe goes through a bulk head, it is always protected from chafe by the use of a piece of larger diameter pipe in the hole. They normally put instruments on the other side thus spoiling another good place to sit. The one I fitted is a stainless steel 20 litre version that heats water from the mains or from the engine. His first circumnavigation was made in a westerly direction from 1582-1584 from the Canary Islands while the second was made in an easterly direction between 1585 and 1589. Actually thats not true. Each coat needs to be allowed to properly dry before the next is applied. Designer. The Dana may well have been one of the last yachts designed without the aid of a computer. I did ask PSC at the time why they fitted such a big engine to such a small boat. Of course if you want a chisel or a tape measure. The slick produced should be ahead of the boat not alongside. 0. Depending on departure location, round-the-world rallies typically range from 15 to 24 months. Ny boat is a modified version on the Dolphin 24 or Yankee Dolphin 34 built in USA. Above the locker is a useful fiddled space which is used for fruit mainly. Because its an American boat it has the American version which is a few inches wider than the European one. Fitting a chart table to such a small boat would have upset the otherwise excellent use of space. Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 boats for sale - YachtWorld They are finished with bronze castings. Keep up the reports on your incredible adventures. When he designed the Dana back in the early 1980s he was about 65 years old and he used all his hard earned experience gained from a lifetime of creating and sailing yachts. I wouldnt hesitate to go anywhere in a Dana. No doubt it was one of those things that just wasnt worth doing properly, after all, how many people would actually be showering in there? The early Danas were fitted with a Yanmar 2GM20 two cylinder diesel engine producing about 18 hp. My wife and I sailed our PSC 37 from San Diego to New Zealand in 2004. Im obviously biased as I hate varnishing but teak oil does protect the wood and that is what matters to me. However the teak does go grey and if not washed regularly can go mouldy in places. I was looking for the perfect pocket cruiser and I have now found it. Cruising: Solo Circumnavigators. Perhaps it seems like the Dana has a lot of problems but these do not apply to all boats only the occasional one. I have owned 5 yachts so far and was looking for a yacht that was small enough for me to handle by myself or big enough to enjoy company. klondike elementary school yearbook. She's well built, and outfitted with top quality gear. "[3], A 2008 review in Sailing Magazine note "Part of the Dana 24's appeal is its traditional appearance, from its beefy bow pulpit and sweet sheerline to the chrome bronze deck hardware and teak loop handrails on the cabinhouse. Pacific Seacraft built the Dana well. This seems a good choice for the heavy Dana. I also noticed during my tour of the factory that no additives were put into the epoxy which leaves it hard and brittle. The crack is still there but has got no bigger and there is no play in the rudder so for the time being Im keeping an eye on it. Privacy Policy - Third Party AdvertisingGoogle, one of our third-party advertisers, may add a cookie to determine targeted advertisements based on your preferences and your visit to our site and other sites on the internet. Neither of these lockers have vented doors but they should have. That long keel has plenty of bite. You are so lucky, the perfect compromise for what I need. Pacific Seacraft built the Dana 24 from 1984 to 1998 then again in 2002. Thanks again! If only I can win that Lottery I know the boat I want..lol. When youre not feeling well this can be unhelpful. It will soon be time to sand it lightly and get it flat again. You wont fall off the Dana easily. Visible in the background are the open sheds where the boats are laid up. In the end I solved this by cutting about 40mm off the bottom of the door and fitting a step into the moulding which is what PSC should have done in the first place. I have done my time on that score. dana 24 circumnavigation - cabottrailadventures.ca Note also the protected surfaces, a sign of a boat builder who cares. I used to have a Pearson 26 in Florida, which was fine for day sailing but not built heavy duty like a Dana. One cant change the shape of the keel or reduce the freeboard. Today most boats are designed around their accommodation. Incidentally the twin lever system invalidates the engine guarantee so I never did understand why PSC fitted them. Many people will not even consider the Dana because it has no aft cabin or is only 24 feet long. However this is not an easy job as the stanchions and life lines get in the way when working and varnishing around the genoa track is a pain, theres also the bowsprit to consider. Most Danas have cream coloured hulls with a contrasting top strake. Considering the size of the engine and the weight of the boat its not bad fuel economy really. Mobile Industrial Aftermarket Dana offers a number of aftermarket brands featuring genuine, all makes, and value lines. Early Danas had frames with external brass hinges. The zips allow access to the deck, should you need to fit something to it. This is much better and slows down corrosion yet as far as I know, not one European manufacturer uses it. We know this because we can often hear dolphins calling long before we see them. I googled Dana 24 after seeing an ad in my regional sailing magazine your review was the first result. Again, a straightforward task with good access. Without it, getting the anchor up can take time as the boat is either on one tack or the other. One of the disadvantages of a small boat is where to put a dinghy but the Dana is lucky in this sense because it has two novel dinghies designed especially for it. A step added to the heads compartment. What I do remember is that the engine was clattery and noisy. In the US gas bottles are generally aluminium so a bit of salt water on them is no problem, however in Europe we have steel bottles and they tend to rust up quickly. There seems to be a general opinion these days that if you want to go offshore you need a boat around 40 feet. He also told me that a Dana takes about 2500 man hours to assemble. For offshore cruising I would always take the cutter rig over a sloop. You can look at it but with the engine in place thats about all you can do. [] the Dana 24 as an example. The hull of the Dana is very easily driven and at speeds of up to about 5 knots there is virtually no wash at all. For a long time it had me puzzled. 75. Bill Morris, an author on bluewater gear, started the voyage in 2000 out of San Pedro, California. Best features: The layout below is very functional and has some clever special features. She makes no leeway that I can discern. Very tidy and simple. One thing that the Dana will not do is hove to and its a shame because being hove to is an excellent tactic in heavy weather or whenever you just want to stop. I know its a clich but she does. The feel on the helm of the Dana is a little dull. Another nice feature that might not be obvious is that they are placed on the outside of the hull which has the advantage of making the decks wider and thus easier to walk along and also reduce the chance of deck leaks. If the Dana has a fault down below its the lack of ventilation. My budget, for the boat itself, is $38,000. Actually thats about the only fault I can think of. Its the down side of owning such a solid boat! The only aspect of this installation that bothers me slightly is that there is absolutely no way to get at the back of the drain fitting. Sailing to windward her helm becomes heavier but the angle of the rudder is very slight. Lisa Blair becomes first woman to solo circumnavigate Antarctica The Dana 24 is obviously a fine vessel, but the insights and pictures given in the review are superb. Access to the fuel tank is by a lift out floor board. I was very pleased to see that she didnt fore reach at all and merely drifted sideways leaving a massive textbook slick to weather. The first thing one realises is that the Dana may only be 24 feet long on deck but in every respect she feels much bigger. Redirecting to http://moreboats.com/boats/pacific-seacraft/dana-24/375584 The basic boats are built to last with the best materials. I fell in love with the boat but when I discovered that PSC also made a bigger version called the Dana, I knew that it was the boat for me. Other Dana issues include problems with the mast step collapsing. The deck moulding is made in a similar way and uses balsa to strengthen and insulate the deck, and plywood in areas where more strength is required, such as winch and stanchion bases. This is partly due to the two bladed prop, the fact there is very little sound proofing fitted to the engine bay, no flexible coupling on the motor but mainly, I think, because the hull on the Dana is so dense that it transmits sound readily. There is some fibreglass showing but it is in no way offensive and simply helps to brighten the interior. Or both. There is also a large locker under the stove. The keel simply cannot fall off. dana 24 circumnavigation - collaboration-expert.pl The solution is to remove the mast and the tabernackle and replace the wood and re-glass the area. Circumnavigation Books. When sailing with the wind on the stern quarter in big waves, she will turn her transom to face the next wave head on, then as the wave passes under her, she turns away a few degrees and goes down the wave obliquely and at speed only to repeat this when the next wave appears. It consists of a strong framework of stainless steel and has been engineered to be self supporting yet just to be sure PSC also fit a hefty bronze gudgeon to support the bottom end. Because she has no overhangs, her ultimate speed is limited but she gets to hull speed very quickly and will hold it for weeks on end.
Jury Duty Summons Date Vs Reporting Date, Term Sofr Vs Daily Simple Sofr, Is The Zebra Longwing Butterfly Endangered, Articles D