I went up to this club and cut off about six feet of it; I then gave this piece to the men and told them to fine it evenly off at one end, which they proceeded to do, and lastly I brought it to a point myself, charring the end in the fire to make it harder. Agamemnon has had a dream and is confident the gods are now on the side of the Achaians against the Trojans; he decides to test his army and announces that they are free to go home if they wish. In Homer's 'The Odyssey', the forces of fate, destiny, and justice factor into Odysseus' journey home. His quick and impractical decision eventually led to death among his men. "But my heart breaks for Odysseus, that seasoned veteran cursed by fate so long far from his loved ones still, he suffers torments off on a wave-washed island rising at the center of the seas. In the Iliad, Odysseus appears as the man best suited to cope with crises in personal relations among the Greeks, and he plays a leading part in achieving the reconciliation between Agamemnon and Achilles. eNotes Editorial, 7 Oct. 2019, https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/what-quotes-show-how-odysseus-is-a-good-leader-1948083. Having floated in heavy seas for two days and nights, battling Poseidons storms, Odysseus makes this plea for divine help. Line 223-301). If I beg and pray you to set me free, then bind me more tightly still. I fear wild beasts will drag me off as quarry.". Instead of killing Odysseus and his men, the hilltop made a big wave that brought the ships back to shore. First she said we were to keep clear of the Sirens, who sit and sing most beautifully in a field of flowers; but she said I might hear them myself so long as no one else did. The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 236-246. He has decreed that the exiled hero is to return home. Odysseus - CliffsNotes Especially among Gods and Goddesses. Odysseus knew about this and wanted to spare his life. For example, when Odysseus and his men are heading to the sirens Odysseus states you are to tie me up, tight as a splint (Homer 1005). "Hear me, lord, whoever you are, Ive come to you, the answer to all my prayers rescue me from the sea, the Sea-lords curse! Odysseus Quotes from The Odyssey - 242 Quotes, Analysis Their response is not what he expected: they cheer loudly and head back to their ships, eager to go home rather than finish fighting the war they came here to fight. 'Running forward to meet his master, he kissed his forehead, his fine eyes, and both his hands, while the tears streamed down his cheeks. He may of saved his men multiple times, but also got them killed them due to his neglect. In the first place, Odysseus demonstrates his ability to be a good leader by being strong with everything he goes through during the epic. The Cicones in The Odyssey: Homer's Example of Karmic Retribution this Quote Book 6 Quotes The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 490-497. According to the article, The Nine Traits that Define Great Leadership, explain that an optimistic leader The very best leaders are a source of positive energy. This essay proves that an epic hero is not only a personification of that culture but also the best version of that culture. At the beginning of the poem the narrator invokes the Muse the Muses were ancient Greeces goddesses of literature, science and the arts. Then, being much troubled in mind, I said to my men, "My friends, it is not right that one or two of us alone should know the prophecies that Circe has made me, I will therefore tell you about them, so that whether we live or die we may do so with our eyes open. Ino, as sea deity Leucothea, makes a dramatic appearance to save Odysseus from drowning in a violent sea whipped up by Poseidon. Odysseus also leads with his clever ideas when he orders the Greeks to build the Trojan Horse so they could raid Troy and destroy it. Explore important quotes from the epic poem, learn how fate plays a role, and discover how . What a piece of work the hero dared and carried off in the wooden horse where all our best encamped, our champions armed with bloody death for Troy. This shows how powerful a woman Penelope is. These are the opening words to Homers masterpiece, The Odyssey, one of the most important and enduring works of Western literature. ", "but what a feat that hero dared and carried off in the land of Troy where you Achaeans suffered! After this victory, they decided to stay on the island a little bit longer to celebrate. He compliments her beauty and compares it in a metaphor to a blooming flower. Odysseus: Top Ten Quotes | Novelguide Likewise, the greek tragedy by Sophocles Oedipus Rex details the tragic downfall of the hero King Oedipus. The Odyssey [], The relationship between male and female is a key theme in the Odyssey and has been increasingly popular in recent scholarship. Poseidon may have condemned Odysseus to an additional ten years suffering at sea, but his fate has attracted the attention of the other gods who want to help him. The Odyssey. Pity me, lord, your suppliant cries for help." Examples Of Arrogance In The Odyssey - 621 Words | 123 Help Me After that, he stays equally as strong when faced with Poseidons anger and the journey ahead of him. In book three of the epic story, Odysseus is being compared to Menelaus, a man who is imposing and impressive physically. That was how the war was won, and it was all thanks to Odysseus and his cleverness and ability to lead. Eumaeus and Philoetius, the servants, remained faithful servants to their master. He always looks out for his men and encourages them to keep moving forward when hope disappears. Analysis of Odysseus as a Good Leader - GradesFixer What are they here violent, savage, lawless? It was so huge that we could only compare it to the mast of a twenty-oared merchant vessel of large burden, and able to venture out into open sea. When Odysseus and his men are stuck in Polyphemus's cave Odysseus tricks him into drinking a lot of wine so he falls asleep so they can make a plan to get out alive. Important Odyssey Quotes Explained | Literature Guides - Ivypanda He attributes the Greeks eventual and hard-won victory to the will of Zeus, but also to the cunning of Odysseus. And if a god will wreck me yet again on the wine-dark sea, I can bear that too, with a spirit tempered to endure. If you are such a student, you can use Ultimately Odysseus can be a good leader but behind the scenes, he's not. DO WHAT IS NECESSARY TO SAVE YOUR CREW: Odysseus showed signs of good leadership when he saved his men from the Lotus Eaters. Helen is telling the story of how she saw and recognized Odysseus when he came into Troy disguised as a beggar during the war. Examples Of Leadership In The Odyssey - 1206 Words | Cram The first trait is that he is a very arrogant person and this often puts him and his men in danger. The lot fell upon the very four whom I should have chosen, and I myself made five. Look at my wise Penelope. The brilliant U.S. Army General Douglas MacArthur once said, A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. This description of a leader can be used when telling of the great adventures of Odysseus on his way home to Ithaca after fighting in the Trojan War. His ability to remain courageous in the face of brute beast, the actions of gods and demi-goddesses, and in almost impossible natural and supernatural circumstances certainly admirable. Odysseus Leadership Quotes - 162 Words | Bartleby Helen tells the story of how Odysseus cunningly disguised himself as a begger to slip into Troy unrecognized during the Trojan war. To calm them down, Odysseus told them what to do next. En route, they unknowingly stopped at the island of the Cyclopes to gather supplies for their long journey home. Odysseus prepares a bed by covering himself with leaves on Scheria, the island home of the Phaeacians. If one of the gods who rule the skies up there, youre Artemis to the life, the daughter of mighty Zeus I see her now just look at your build, your bearing, your lithe flowing grace But if youre one of the mortals living here on earth, three times blest are your father, your queenly mother, three times over your brothers too. He failed to tell them what was going on when they arrived and failed to tell them how long they were staying. Why was Odysseus not a good leader? Did I not keep my Odysseus also told them that Zeus would help them survive. The Odyssey, Book 4, lines 303-306. Odysseus is meeting with Tiresias (a blind prophet) to learn his future. Odysseus showed bad leadership when his curiosity resulted in some of his men dying. 2023 eNotes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. The most compelling evidence is. She tells Odysseus to abandon his raft and take her immortal scarf. Significant Myths and Structure of the Text. Helen, the young woman over whom the Trojan War is being fought, provides some basic information on Odysseus. Quotes in Odyssey Quote #1 "Tell me about a complicated man. Why does a conflict take place between Agamemnon and Achilles in the Iliad? Lastly, Odysseus illustrates good leadership through his use of determination. This shows that he truly cared about his men and kept their wellbeing in mind no matter the circumstances. Odysseus led the squadron of soldiers in the trojan horse and is a hero of the Trojan War and the king of Ithaca. Best Odysseus Leadership Quotes from Odyssey Quotes About Leadership QuotesGram. Odysseus is trapped on Calypsos island, where the nymph is keeping him and wants him for her husband. Human feelings are always mixed, and there is no true unconditional love. Odysseus is a good leader in that he uses his wits to get his men out of trouble. Yes, the terribly challenging circumstances in narrative in which the Odysseus finds himself is a challenge of courage and heroism of which very few would willingly volunteer. The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 370-383. He is confident that he represents virtue even when a modern audience might not be so sure. Analysis of Odysseus as an Effective Leader in The Odyssey - GradesFixer In the Iliad, whois responsible for the death of Achilles and who helps him? Then every wind roared into hurricane; the ships went pitching west with many cries; [their] land was lost (X. Also, Odysseus is evidently clever when devising the escape plan from the Cyclops cave. Like pebbles stuck in the suckers of some octopus dragged from its lair so strips of skin torn from his clawing hands stuck to the rock face. When we do see him, he is generally described as being "godlike" or somehow connected to the gods Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this answer and thousands more. In order to do this, he hid his men in cattle to escape from the cyclops. Straight forward they sprinted, lifted it and rammed it deep in his eye chater (Hom. "Men are so quick to blame the gods: they say that we devise their misery. So with his lordly ways he brought the ranks to heel, and they flocked back from their huts and ships to the Assembly, noisily, like a wave of the roaring sea when it thunders on the beach while the depths resound. After defeating the Cyclops, Odysseus taunted him, which made him very angry. Latest answer posted June 12, 2016 at 4:51:53 PM. Unique to Odysseus as an ideal hero as he was a rare intelligent hero Strategy quotes 'quick witted' 'resourceful' 'at every twist of strategy he excelled us all' - Nestor to Telemachus The ideal wife complements odysseus Puts him above other men as he and his wife can work together as a team. They are killed by the god Helios for their reckless action in consuming his cattle. But when the other [Menelaos] drove to his feet, resourceful Odysseus,he would just stand and stare down, eyes fixed on the ground beneath him,nor would he gesture with the staff backward and forward, but hold itclutched hard in front of him, like any man who knows nothing.Yes, you would call him a sullen man, and a fool likewise.But when he let the great voice go from his chest, and the words camedrifting down like the winter snows, then no other mortalman beside could stand up against Odysseus. What are 3 examples of times when Odysseus demonstrated epic hero/god like qualities in The Odyssey? Orders: He thought of an elaborate, but organized way to blind Polyphemus after drugging him. "Man of misery, what next? If I wait out a long tense night by the banks, I fear the sharp frost and the soaking dew together will do me in Im bone-weary, about to breathe my last, and a cold wind blows from a river on toward morning. They must be superior in order to provide as a good figure for others to follow, learn from, and willingly respect. First, he discloses the disturbing information to his men, so they know as much as he does about the fate that awaits them on the sea. Odysseus longs to be back home with her in Ithaca, no matter what trials he faces along the way. - Odysseus. Or am I really close to people who speak my language? Moreover, Odysseus proved himself a proper leader through being thoughtful. After stabbing the cyclopes in the eye and the cyclopes moving the boulder Odysseus had to think of a way to get his men out safely and this quote shows his intelligence and leadership skills "I tied them silently together, twining cords of willow from the cyclops's bed; then slung a man . What quotes show how Odysseus is a good leader? However, a heroes orders are followed without debating, but Odysseus orders were not obeyed. This was a bad leadership on the part of Odysseus because he was unable to keep track of his men and possibly save and because he did know he needed to give the crewmember a funeral, something he is morally obliged to do. When the Cyclops comes upon to see that Odysseus and part of his crew members were munching down on his cheese he was frustrated. However, Oedipus slowly uncovers the truth, ultimately leading to his own banishment from his. So the man prayed and the god stemmed his current. Atlas daughter it is who holds Odysseus captive, luckless man despite his tears, forever trying to spellbind his heart with suave, seductive words and wipe all thought of Ithaca from his mind. These were only some main events in the epic that showed his acts of valor, but they supported his ability to be a good leader nonetheless. Odysseus proves to be an epic hero in The Odyssey by showing bravery,intelligence and respect for the gods.Odysseus shows his intelligence by having his men tie him up to the mast as they sail past the sirens,so odysseus dont lose his will to get home.Odysseus use his bravery by going past scylla,so that he does not risk losing However, Odysseus did not disclose any information to his crew. True, but he is the one more blest than all other men alive, that man who sways you with gifts and leads you home, his bride! Instead of exploring the land, all Odysseus had to do was avoid it. In the future, Odysseus will be presented with two obstacles, going through Scylla (6 headed monster) or Charybdis (a giant whirlpool). "There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep." The Odyssey. Odysseus Loyalty Quotes - 868 Words | Studymode "Man of misery, whose land have I lit on now? With our Essay Lab, you can create a customized outline within seconds to get started on your essay right away. The three traits that makes Odysseus a bad leader are being dishonest, prideful, and careless. ", "and no one knew him at all I alone, I spotted him for the man he was. Although Odysseus has some positive attributes he is a bad leader for the following reasons he keeps secrets from his crew, he falls asleep at inappropriate times and is arrogant to a fault. She is mortal after all and you, you never age or die Nevertheless I long I pine, all my days to travel home and see the dawn of my return. However, he prophecies that Odysseus will end up back in his homeland of Ithaca with many treasures, because that is his destiny. Let's fix your grades together! Where do you want us to send this sample? In closing, throughout the whole story, Odysseus progresses himself and designates many Greek, While Odysseus is a little arrogant, he can also be a great leader because he is able to trust his second in command, Eurylochus, and give him more power while he is away. Explain this statement by analyzing the relationship of Helen and Paris in the Iliad. But the hero of the Trojan war wishes that he had met his end more gloriously with his dead comrades on the battlefields of Troy. In the end I deemed it would be the best plan to do as follows. The Odyssey, Book 1, lines 57-60, 65-68. Just do as I say. Latest answer posted October 02, 2020 at 3:09:58 PM. The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 479-482. Much have I suffered, labored long and hard by now in the waves and wars. In the Odyssey, Odysseus states, I tied them [rams] silently together then slung a man under each middle one to ride there safely, shielded left and right. Homer (around 800 and 600 BCE) to show the numerous adventures and experiences Odysseus goes through. Menelaus is aggrieved at the loss of his comrade Odysseus and laments his fate. Then, he planned for his men to escape concealed by being bound under the bellies of sheep. Not only that, but he does not expect of his men what he is not willing to do himself. Here, take this scarf, tie it around your waist it is immortal. ", "Yet I tell you great Odysseus is not dead. When we do see him, he is generally described as being "godlike" or somehow connected to the gods because of his wisdom or bravery. In order to save his men, Odysseus, drove them, all three wailing, to the ships, tied them down under their rowing benches, and called the rest. Odysseus sometimes lacks self-awareness when he would kill his men or people just because it was a faster way to reach his goal. Leaders have more expectations and responsibilities that they must cater to as well. This is not an example of the work written by professional essay writers. What if Im spared the chill, fatigue, and a sweet sleep comes my way? And out he stalked as a mountain lion exultant in his power strides through wind and rain and his eyes blaze and he charges sheep or oxen or chases wild deer but his hunger drives him on to go for flocks, even to raid the best-defended homestead. Thus, the question of leadership supersedes the topic of Arete. Remember: This is just a sample from a fellow student. The Odyssey, Book 4, lines 280-281. In the end, Odysseus and his crew avoided the Sirens because all of his men listened to him. Even as he spoke the sun set and the darkness swept the earth. In the beginning, he is courageous as he leads his people into the Trojan War. Odysseus | Myth, Significance, Trojan War, & Odyssey The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 305-308. The Odyssey Quotes and Analysis | GradeSaver Odysseus' could not properly feed his men and he could not control them. ", She pitied Odysseus, tossed, tormented so she broke from the waves like a shearwater on the wing, lit on the wreck and asked him kindly, "Ah poor man, why is the god of earthquakes so dead set against you? He took risk and find solutions to all the problems they faced. Killing his men was perhaps not the best thing to do, but he still is heroic because his loyalty is what drives him to advance on his long journey home. Even immortal gods will show a man respect, whatever wanderer seeks their help like me I throw myself on your mercy, on your current now I have suffered greatly. He did all of this with only the goal of returning to his beloved family in mind. Hospitality. Odysseus is visited by Athena and reminded of the losses the army has already suffered; leaving now would make those deaths a waste rather than a sacrifice. Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this answer and thousands more. (Hom. For example, Odysseus wisely told the Cyclops his name was noman so that he could not properly call out for help once he was impaled. By god, I'd rather slave on earth for another man some dirt-poor tenant farmer who scrapes to keep alive Odysseus had what it takes to be a good leader because he was intelligent, fair and fearless and he supported and did not do anything that would blemish his men's courage. With Alcinous' help, he can reach home. Only Alcinous daughter held fast. Notably, Homers epic The Odyssey charts the journey of Odysseus and his men traveling from Troy to Ithaca. Homer portrayed Odysseus as a man of outstanding wisdom and shrewdness, eloquence, resourcefulness, courage, and endurance. Menelaus tells the story of the Trojan Horse, which enabled the Greeks to trick the defenders of Troy and take the city after a fruitless ten-year siege. The three men were put under a spell where they forgot their way home, but Odysseus forcefully brought them back to the ship himself. Analyzes how odysseus shows inadequate leadership qualities throughout the story. "Odysseus, master of many exploits, praised the singer: I respect you, Demodocus, more than any man alive surely the Muse has taught you, Zeus's daughter, or god Apollo himself. The trait of Odysseus being dishonest is a factor of why Odysseus is a bad leader. The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 33-46. This genius plan saved himself and his crew from dangerous situation with the cyclops. Eumaeus, Odysseus's trusty swineherd, is reassuring Odysseus that the suitors will be punished for their bad behavior, because the gods frown upon mortals who flout the kindness of hospitality. Athena tells Telemachus that Odysseus is alive and being held captive on a faraway island. Is Odysseus A Good Leader Or A Bad Leader? - On Secret Hunt Odysseus is visited by Athena. ", "Nine years we wove a web of disaster for those Trojans, pressing them hard with every tactic known to man, and only after we slaved did Zeus award us victory. Students who find it difficult to write detailed essays. Calypso is portrayed in The Odyssey as embodying the feminine powers of seduction, manipulative language and beauty and using these to keep Odysseus on her island. Odysseus is a Leader The story of The Odyssey with Odysseus being a great leader has been told for many years and will be told many years to come. Odysseus was quick on his toes, he said "'Cyclops, try some wine. He thought of an elaborate, but organized way to blind Polyphemus after drugging him. This shows the lack of obedience the men have and Odysseus lack of leadership. A great leader views the world like he is looking through 3D glasses, always seeing the depth and vibrancy of the possibilities around him. Home Essay Samples Literature Odysseus Analysis Of Odysseus As A Good Leader. 25 of the best book quotes from Odyssey 01 Share "So, surrender to sleep at last. If Odysseus looted the city and left, then he could have stolen many things without losing any. 1 / 9. Leadership requires a person to lead a group of people and have people obey you, how can that occur if Odysseus men do not obey simple instructions. What a misery, keeping watch through the night, wide awake -- you'll soon come up from under all your troubles." Homer author Odyssey book hoping sleeping night misery concepts 02 Share "Nobody -- that's my name. But not in the convoy of the gods or mortal men. Latest answer posted July 08, 2020 at 12:54:27 PM. "Odysseus' favourite pose had been to pretend that he was a man like other men, but there were none like him, and now that he was dead, there were none at all. She is the [], After the events of the Trojan War, Odysseus and his men headed back home to Ithaca. "I reassured the ghost, but he broke out, protesting, "No winning words about death to me, shining Odysseus! And now, withdrawing into the caverns deep recesses, long in each others arms they lost themselves in love. In The Odyssey, how does the character of Odysseus change from the beginning of his quest until the end? There is a strong theme of homecoming in The Odyssey, with Odysseus on a long, perious journey home after the end of the Trojan War. And seventeen days he sailed, making headway well; on the eighteenth, shadowy mountains slowly loomed the Phaeacians island reaching toward him now, over the misty breakers, rising like a shield. Odysseus is a Leader Latest answer posted December 16, 2020 at 8:04:05 PM. He believes that the gods are against him and his position is hopeless. Heroes orders are followed and pursued, but Odysseus wasn't. Gilgamesh and Odysseus are motivated by attaining glory and honor. Is Odysseus a Good Leader? - New York Essays His concern for his men is only matched by his own desire to rise above mortal limits. This essay was donated by a student and is likely to have been used and submitted before, Free samples may contain mistakes and not unique parts. Latest answer posted September 04, 2020 at 11:53:03 AM. The epic poem "The Odyssey" is written by Homer and takes place in ancient Greece 700 B.C. Scylla was a huge monster that had twelve large legs like tentacles and 6 heads with fangs. Get your custom essay on, https://studydriver.com/odysseus-showed-bad-leadership/. Odysseus: A Bad Leader? - 886 Words | Bartleby