Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates. "I was freaking out," he says. She cares.. 152K 2K comments Top Add a Comment Hungerisanillusion 2 yr. ago I'm glad he survived and is helping others. Marine animals (dolphins, sea lions) and other creatures have helped save humans and other animals from dangerous situations all over the world. Less than one percent of them survived but Kevin Hines is among them. Less than one percent of them survived but Kevin Hines is among them. In 2000, a then-19-year-old Kevin Hines jumped off San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge. Hines, 33, is now a mental health worker who shares his story of mental illness and depression at events around the world, hoping to prevent other suicide attempts. Later, people who gathered to watch the rescue would say it was a sea lion or a seal. Kevin Hines - Wikipedia When Hines was nine months old, he was adopted by Pat and Debbie Hines in the San Francisco area. In the Year 2000, Kevinattempted to take his life by jumping off the Golden GateBridge. Everything you need to know about H5N1 - the strain with a 50% kill rate that may be spreading among people for first time in decades, Canada moves one step closer to euthanizing KIDS: Critics slam 'reckless' and 'horrible' panel urging government to pass law allowing minors under 18 with terminal illnesses to die by assisted suicide, Wheelchair-bound Tennessee woman, 60, slurs as she pleads with cops while being arrested for refusing to leave hospital - shortly before she died of STROKE in back of police cruiser, How THAT cozy Oscars lunch chat between Stephen Spielberg and Tom Cruise signaled and end to their 20-year feud: Star infuriated director by couch-jumping on Oprah and belittling Brooke Shields for using antidepressants, Manchester United and Chelsea 'could play non-league WREXHAM in preseason friendlies in America this summer' as Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney aim high, Historic Winter Storm Olive zeroes in on California with blizzard and flood warnings to Los Angeles area: More than 828,000 people are without power across the US, Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed convinces judge to let her keep gun at home for 'self-defense' while on bail, Gymnastics coach accused of separating girls as young as nine into a 'fat group', forcing gymnasts to hold 10-minute handstands and pushing them off high bars is finally barred, Model behavior: Bella Hadid goes incognito as she arrives at NYC's Turkish House to donate humanitarian aid for earthquake survivors. What no one knew was that Tegretol was also working in the background to suppress what were the dramatic mood swings of bipolar disorder, according to The San Francisco Chronicle. Emotional: Mental health campaigner Kevin Hines told a conference yesterday how he survived a suicide attempt nearly 15 years ago - because a sea lion circled under him and kept him afloat. "She called her friend in the coast guard, which is the only reason they arrived to my position within less than the time I [would have] set in hypothermia and drowned.". But his body would mend before his psyche. The intense impact broke his back, shattering three vertebrae which came just two millimeters short of severing his spine. He has visited mental hospitals several times since his jump. Eighteen years ago, on September 25th, a young man named Kevin Hines got on a bus in San Francisco that was headed toward the Golden Gate Bridge. That barrier is now underway and scheduled for completion in 2023. To those who read this, I say believe it or dont, thats completely up to you. Had someone shown Kevin that he mattered while he was heading towards the Golden Gate Bridge, he never wouldve jumped.If you are thinking about suicide, please speak to a trusted friend or family member, a qualified professional, or call a suicide crisis helpline. We hope you enjoy it and if it can help your cause, you may use it as you deem fit. Kevin Hines, Clinicians and first responders, Part 1 of Seven-Part He started to paddle in the same direction as the swells, when he saw fins circling him. Hines was irritable all the time and hard to control. Hines has been featured on CNN,[2] HuffPost,[3] ABC News,[4] Larry King Now,[5] and The Today Show. Confessions of a Man Who Has Never Had Sex With His Wife. Miraculously, I survived and despite my severe injuries, I was able to reach the surface of the water. My documentary film is now available to WATCH - Check it out today! If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or use their 24/7 Lifeline Crisis Chat. Kevin now travels the world sharing hisstory of hope, healing, and recovery while teaching people of all ages the art of wellness & the ability to survive pain with true resilience. And he didn't. Now, The 37-year-old. "A story helped them decide to be honest about their pain," says Hines. Hines urges anyone struggling now with suicide ideation, before you take that action, to call 988, the new national Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. ago A fall like that is akin to landing on concrete. 'I say believe it or dont, thats completely up to you. At age 10, Hines had an epileptic attack, and doctors prescribed him a medication called Tegretol. San Francisco bridge jumper says sea lion saved him - The Telegraph They likely intended to sell her into a forced marriage. The net has started construction and the project is scheduled to be completed in 2023. A man who survived a suicide leap from the Golden Gate Bridge has told in detail how he was saved by a sea lion which kept him afloat until the coastguard arrived. However, I know that it was a sea lion and it is not a statistic anomaly. The Sea Lion & The Guy Who Jumped Off The Golden Gate Bridge Speaking with KABC-TV, he said he felt instant regret, powerful, overwhelming. Its OK! he thought. Hines was also upset by the suicide of his drama teacher. Kevin Hines, The Man Who Survived Jumping Off The Golden Gate Bridge Kevin took the photos and returned the camera. The force attended nearly 50,000 mental health incidents last year. When he woke in the morning, he found that three beavers had curled up beside him and kept him from freezing to death. So there he was, 19 years old, sitting on that bus, crying, and hoping that one person would notice his tears, approach him and ask: If one person approached him, he decided, he wouldnt go through with it. Since the bridge opened in 1937, an estimated 2,000 people have done the same. If you see someone in pain, its your duty to walk up and engage and just try to get them to open up to you and try to share what is going on in their mind. "And I did. For more information on his plan, click here. And even if he did, the water is so cold under that bridge that hypothermia sets in after 15 minutes. Miraculously, a sea lion kept him afloat until the Coast Guard arrived. Published: 10:57 EST, 3 March 2015 | Updated: 17:01 EST, 3 March 2015. Emotional: Mental health campaigner Kevin Hines told a conference yesterday how he survived a suicide attempt nearly 15 years ago - because a sea lion circled under him and kept him afloat until help arrived. You cant go back! Suicide: The Ripple Effect - Jana Marie Foundation 2 Gayguymike 1 min. When will we learn to listen? Delirious from his ordeal and thinking that the animal must be a dog, he fell asleep. The couple met 14 years ago during Hines third involuntary stay in a psychiatric hospital. It was like God sent him to us at a time when my husband needed it the most.". Apparently, this is a pattern among many people contemplating suicide. He is one of only thirty-six (less than 1%) to survive that fall. Bridge jumper says sea lion saved him - Phys.org PETA Leads the Charge: Inside the Global Effort to Take Down Exotic Skins, Ugandas First Vegan School Wins PETA Kindness Award, Diane Warren Is Standing With PETA to Help End the Iditarod, And the Winners of PETAs Sixth Annual Oscat Awards Are, PETA Scientists Join International Coalition Working to End Cosmetics Tests on Animals, NIH-Funded Scam Facility Shut Down; 108 Monkeys Seized in Colombia. He is a best-selling author, global public speaker, and award-winning documentary filmmaker. Shortly after, Hines mental health began spiraling. Mr Hines said he never intended to tell his story because he was 'embarrassed', but changed his mind after a life-affirming talk to 120 students, many of whom had suicidal thoughts. On his walk up the pathway, he wept. U.S. only. Kevins goal is to spread a message of how he tried, through dedication and hard work, while following a treatment plan which his doctors, and clinicians set for him: to change his life and how he learned to live mentally well. In a few years, that barrier will be in place. He suffered the loss of his drama teacher by suicide. Stay up to date on the latest vegan trends and get breaking animal rights news delivered straight to your inbox! Hines plunged downward into the calm water. He also has bipolar disorder. "I was a mess.". According to the San Francisco Examiner, the safety net that Hines and others have lobbied so hard far is finally under construction. A man who survived a suicide attempt off San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge and was kept afloat by a sea lion has relayed his story to a NSW Police suicide prevention conference. I dont have the time to supply his full background because its hard to fit a very long story into a two-minute takeaway. 5 Times Animal Superheroes Rushed In and Saved Human Lives Kevin Hines- Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Jumper Saved by a Sea Lion People who collect and release these statistics say 1,700. Maybe she sensed something. In the summer of 2013, Kevin released his bestselling memoir titled Cracked Not Broken, Surviving and Thriving After A Suicide Attempt. Kevins will to live and stay mentally well has inspired people worldwide. San Franciscan Kevin Hines, 33, was the keynote speaker at the NSW Police Force biennial conference on improving policing strategies in mental health related cases. Its a great song and a beautiful video. Mr Hines said he had no intention of ever talking about his experience, and that he was embarrassed and extremely sad. Mr Hines said the theory was perfectly plausible. To be clear, there are a large number of reporters and speculators who have claimed it was really a seal and even those who have claimed that there was nothing but me in that water, and that I was somehow able to save myself. Now, Hines travels the world to speak about suicide prevention and mental health, telling his story to help others stay alive. Thousands have communicated to Hines that his story helped save their lives. Almost all of us grew up eating meat, wearing leather, and going to circuses and zoos. In the Year 2000, Kevin attempted to take his life by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. For much of the time since that day 18 years ago, Kevin has devoted himself to stopping suicide. Kevin Hines now has a metal plate in his spine. Kevin Hines Jumped Off the Golden Gate Bridge, and Survived - Psycom Be Here Tomorrow - SEA LION on TEAL. Why Do People Stay In Abusive Relationships? Suicide Survivor Kevin Hines Shares Remarkable Story About How A Sea Kevin became one of only a handful of people to have survived the fall from The Golden Gate Bridge who can still walk and run. shoes to wear with dress pants in winter; baltimore county inspection connection; iranian football players in europe; This is how it all started.". Today Kevin is on a mission to help others, starting with a new documentary and a plan to create a Golden Gate Bridge suicide barrier net, After Surviving a Bridge Jump, Kevin Hines Helps Others Avoid Suicide, My Dad Died From Depression: Paul McGregor on Rising Male Suicide Rates, https://www.sfexaminer.com/the-city/public-gets-its-first-look-at-golden-gate-bridge-suicide-deterrent-net/, What to Expect From A First Therapy Session, Forgiveness: How to Let Go of Hurt So You Can Feel Better in 11 Steps, Happy Birthday Psycom: The 10 Most Meaningful Advances in Mental Health Since 1996, Am I "Normal"? Suicide: The Ripple Effect, a feature length documentary, chronicles the story of Kevin Hines, who at age 19 attempted to take his life by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. A woman with a German accent did come up to him and asked him to take her picture at the bridge, but she did not mention anything about his tears or ask about his well-being. Doctors surgically repaired Hines' physical injuries and after four weeks, he entered psychiatric care at St. Francis Hospital in San Francisco, the first of seven in-patient stays to deal with depression, paranoia, and hallucinations. Since the bridge opened in 1937, an estimated 2,000 people have done the same. "When you can find the ability to fight for your wellbeing, you can change your outcome," he says. Hed thought a gunshot or pills would be too painful; this was the easiest way. Kevin Hines, in Australia to speak at several conferences, was a teenager struggling with mental illness and depression when he jumped off the famous bridge in 2000. In the Year 2000, Kevin threw himself off the Golden Gate Bridge in an attempt to end his life. "I was suffering mentally with bipolar disorder, type one psychotic features and I was hearing voices that were telling me I was useless, worthless, not meant for this world and a burden to all who loved me none of that was true but I couldn't see it," he said. Then, something brushed by my legs, I feared it was a shark come to devour me whole. What Was It Like To Be Shipped To A Concentration Camp? Previously, he was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award by the National Council of Behavioral Health in partnership with Eli Lilly. "When I resurfaced I was trying to stay afloat, thinking, 'I am going to drown.' FOLLOW SPENCER LODGE:Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/spencer.lodge/ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/spencerlodgeofficial/LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/spencerlodge/Get a FREE 7-day trial to my Make It Happen Sales University! Hines never wants anyone to experience what he did almost 18 years ago when he took a bus to the bridge with voices in his head telling him "You must die, jump now," he recalls. Kevin HinesI survived a jump from the Golden Gate (February 25) "I got out of the hospital, went into a psych ward, got out of the psych ward," he said. A sea lion circled under him, bumping him up to the surface of the water and toward the shore. Now he has written a book about his experience, Cracked, Not Broken, and appears at conferences all over the world. By submitting this form, you are agreeing to our collection, storage, use, and disclosure of your personal info in accordance with our privacy policy as well as to receiving e-mails from us. My husband has chronic suicidal thoughts and paranoia just like Kevin. The sea lion helped keep Hines afloat until he was rescued by the Coast Guard. Gallery Kevin Hines I know the truth, and in this case and that is all that matters. After leaping, Hines, as described by Time, had instant regret: "When my hands left that railand my legs curled overas soon as I left the bridge, I thought, I dont want to die.". Several of the kids told Hines his talk made a difference and that they received the help they needed. My father was an emotional wreck and he nearly fell out of his chair. In 2000, Kevin Hines jumped off the golden gate bridge due mental KTVU FOX 2 SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU) - Almost 20 years ago, Kevin Hines jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge. A sea lion, Hines says, kept pushing him above the water's surface until the Coast Guard rescued him. It wasnt until 18 months after his ordeal that a priest helped him realize that his story of survival would help many others if he chose to share it. The last piece of the so-called three-part miracle, which Mr Hines attributes to God, was a doctor who was not supposed to be there. Eighteen years ago, on September 25th, a young man named Kevin Hines got on a bus in San Francisco that was headed toward the Golden Gate Bridge. An All Thats Interesting writer since 2013, Erin Kelly focuses on historic places, natural wonders, environmental issues, and the world of science. EXCLUSIVE: Jihadi John's brother was convicted of handling Grisly details emerge of shooting in rural Queensland after Isabel Oakeshott receives 'menacing' message from Matt Hancock, Beaming Harry and Meghan enjoy date night at private members' club, Ken Bruce finishes his 30-year tenure as host of BBC Radio 2, Pavement where disabled woman gestured at cyclist before fatal crash, Pro-Ukrainian drone lands on Russian spy planes exposing location, 'Buster is next!' He fell headfirst. Kevin Hines StoryHines is now a public speaker telling others about his experiences. He crashed feet first into the waters below, crushing spinal vertebrae and breaking an ankle. All Rights Reserved God please save me.. He has also authored a memoir, Cracked Not Broken, Surviving and Thriving After a Suicide Attempt. "I have one request of people who are currently facing the struggle, who can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, Hines continues, "remember the light is there, the hope is there, you have to find a way to make it and find a way to move forward until you reach the hope.". He jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge and survived. Now, he's - CNN "I think the message is very, very simple: you don't have to die this way. 14 Therapist Reveal Unusually Common Things They Often Hear, That People Are Hesitant To Disclose, Confessions of a Man Who Shot Himself In The Head And Survived, Caveman Circus | Contact | Privacy Policy | DMCA Copyright 2023 StomachPunch Media, LLC. One thing is certain. He does at least 23 minutes of vigorous exercise each morning, which leads to a better mood. At 19, Kevin Hines struggled with mental illness and depression. I was actually very happy that morning, he told the Chronicle. Inside Kevin Hines Miraculous Survival After Jumping Off The Golden Gate Bridge. During that first stay, Hines met a priest who encouraged him to share his story. About seven months after the jump, a hesitant Hines gave his first talk, to 120 seventh and eighth-graders. Here are the facts: on September 25th, 2000 due to bipolar disorder and serious psychosis, I jumped off of the Golden Gate Bridge. SAFER CARE FOR THOSE AT RISK OF SUICIDE. We want you and your loved ones to be safe and stay here so we always want to encourage you to seek support from these amazing providers; Text: CNQR to 741 741 Crisis Text Line (USA Only), Visit: www.suicide.org (International Phone Numbers). He opened his email, clicked a button and out popped a picture from birdseye view of my near lifeless body laying atop a circling sea lion. Lately,there seems to be quite a bit of debate as to whether or not a sea lion saved my life, Robert W. Firestone, Ph.D. This book offers a consistently developed set of hypotheses centering around the concept of the, Here you can watch the live recording or view slides from Dr. Lisa Firestones December 6, 2011 Webinar The Critical, All right, so that title is probably a tad misleading. But trust me: Kevin is intelligent, very well-meaning and he makes the world a better place. I was going to end the pain.. If that tourist had not approached Kevin and asked him to take those photos, perhaps the Sea lion wouldve been in a different spot and this story never would have been told. The distance from the bridge to the water is the equivalent of a 25-story building. He urges people to realize suicide is not an answer and that getting treatment for mental illness is a necessity. He survived but was severely injured and trying to stay afloat in the churning, frigid water. He survived the fall, only. The third in a seven-part series on the Golden Gate Bridge barrier debate", "He jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge and survived. The family no longer eats pigs. "I didn't think I was going to make an impact, I didn't think I was going to help a soul. Cal Fussman's 3-Minute Takeaway. Somehow, he managed to swim as well as he could out of the darkness and toward the light. Kevin Hines is a storyteller. "My goal is to try to instill hope in at least one individual," Hines says, "so that one individual says, 'Maybe I can stay here, maybe there are tools to fight this.'" That weekend, the voices and hallucinations started and they persisted, telling him, You must die! Amid his struggle to remain afloat, Kevin felt something circling around him. Although he lived, Mr Hines almost lost his ability to walk and was saved only by 14 hours of surgery on his back. Just then, a woman with blonde, curly hair and sunglasses approached him. My father was an emotional wreck and he nearly fell out of his chair. He was conscious the whole way down. But immediately after the four-second fall there was another, more incredible miracle. My dad was not prepared for, nor would he ever willingly want to see what came through to his inbox. That we care about you, your life does matter, and that all we want is for you to stay," he says. Hines story is definitely resonatinghe has over 19,000 followers on Twitter. Chad (not his real name) and I dated in high school. Suddenly, it didnt matter how cold the water felt or how much trouble breathing he was having because Kevin sensed he was about to be eaten by a shark. Pre-laundered to prevent shrinkage. [25] He has campaigned for the installation of a safety net around the Golden Gate Bridge to catch people who jump. One man on the bus looked at another, pointed at Kevin with his thumb, and said: What the hell is wrong with that kid?, When the bus stopped, all the other passengers got off and the driver called out: Cmon kid, you gotta go!. LuLu squeezed her 150-pound body through the dog door, cutting her stomach as she shoved herself through. He is a best selling author, global public speaker, and award winning documentary filmmaker. MULTI COLOR on BLACK *SPECIAL DESIGN* - Kevin Hines A female police officer and male bridge workers passed him without stopping. Maybe she didnt. Doctors moved him to a psychiatric unit at St. Francis Hospital in San Francisco. Inspiration in the form of Kevin Hines - New Hope Treatment He is one of only thirty-six (less than 1%) to survive the fall from the Golden Gate Bridge. Previously, he was a board member of the Northern California Chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) and was a two-term member of San Franciscos Mental Health Board. In 2000, Kevin attempted to take his life by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. Now he is a suicide prevention speaker and a film director. "The thing that changed my life forever," he says of the meeting. ABC News reported that Hines began hearing voices in his head telling him to die. His mantra: Life is a gift, that is why they call it the present. This is one of the few interviews that have brought me to tears because I could relate to Kevins mental health struggles and suicidal thoughts in many ways.Never underestimate the importance of being kind and caring towards others. The medication seemed to keep his epilepsy under control, so well in fact, that after six years with no episodes, doctors took him off it. She quickly led him back to Altsman, and he called for help. It gently nudged him to the surface and held him there. Mr Hines's story is one that he never expected to tell. As you can imagine Kevin receives numerous amounts of messages and as much as he wishes he could respond to everyone, it does become difficult. And that today is not tomorrow," he said. Cal Fussman's 2-Minute Takeway. Kevin Hines - Team Never Quit Podcast Beloved American actor Dick Van Dyke revealed to Craig Ferguson that a pod of porpoises saved his life after he fell asleep on his surfboard. This service may include material from Agence France-Presse (AFP), APTN, Reuters, AAP, CNN and the BBC World Service which is copyright and cannot be reproduced. Previous Be Here Tomorrow - SEA LION on TEAL Next Be Here Tomorrow w/ Seal (BLACK) Be Here Tomorrow - MULTI COLOR on BLACK *SPECIAL DESIGN* Be Here Tomorrow - MULTI COLOR on BLACK *SPECIAL DESIGN* $30.00 100% Combed Ring-Spun Cotton. Hines hopes that the film motivates people to take charge of their mental health. He was the 26 th of the 39 people who plunged into the frigid water that Fall who survived. For a long time, Kevin didnt know what it was. He was also a spokesperson for the movement to erect a suicide barrier on the Golden Gate Bridge, according to CNN. Kevin Hines during his high school graduation. 'However, I know that it was a sea lion and it is not a statistic anomaly. "It was the most horrid, emotional, turmoil even I've ever experienced, and I could not control myself.". Kevin Hines stands on the beach overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. On his walk up the pathway, he wept. $30.00 100% Combed Ring-Spun Cotton. . "Jump now," said the voice in Kevin Hines's head. "I'm one of less than one per cent to have survived that fall," he said. Now, he tours the country as a mental health advocate. Hines helps suicidal people he has met in one-on-one situationsthrough social media and at his speeches. On that note, Im part of a musical collective called One Earth. Text UGLY to 73822 to tell UGGs to choose vegan materials and stop supporting the mutilation and violent killing of sheep! Kevin Hines is a storyteller. Hines is one of only 35 people who have survived.) Elated. Four seconds is all it took before Hines hit the water. Its not uncommon to read about companion animals who saved their humans lives. Be Here Tomorrow - SEA LION on TEAL. When he woke up, there was no land in sight. The Latest The Bloodiest Shows: Why We Watch Violent Television and How it Affects Us We might be living in. He shares his story of how he personally rose above the statistics and is now living mentally well, as he believes you can too. Now he is a suicide prevention speaker. The change in my husband since hearing Kevin speak is nothing short of a miracle. He continues his policy work as an Ambassador to the National Council for Behavioral Health. I didnt die, he remembers thinking, and now Im going to be eaten by a shark. Whatever the creature was, it kept Hines buoyant by periodically nudging him to keep him afloat, according to