PROVISIONAL DATA SUBJECT TO REVISION. We need sensibility and accountability to make progress. You have to take care of things now, you cant wait. Maybe this is the ideal sacrificial area to which all the Citys ferals should be relocated. As long as the weather permits most of the Guadalupe River tubing companies are open, but you should always call or contact them directly to get their specific hours and locations. Your city council has turned a blind eye to lower economic classes and sold themselves out to developers for years and now youre crying because the same leftist baboons you voted for have foisted his garbage on you. About 86% had resided in the County for one year or more, with 69% resident for at least 5 years, prior to becoming homeless. (AP Photo/Craig . 'Insufficient evidence': No crimes tied to Fall River mishandling of drug records, report finds,The review examined allegations of police giving out drugs to informants and missing drug logs inside the Fall River Police Department. Video. For years, hes implored government officials to adopt more housing resources, and helped organize hundreds-strong cleanup efforts, but he reached an emotional peak after seeing how run-down Arena Green has gotten in recent weeksfrom smashed art and untrimmed trees to the burning of a ranger station he helped build in the 1990s. This is in regards to homeless encampments along Guadalupe River in District 10 of San Jose from Brookfield through Oak Canyon and TJ Martin Park. The homeless encampment is located near the Guadalupe River Park, and the city has already swept hundreds of people off the land between Spring and Walnut streets. This should be where the high end housing should be, but SJ just seems to be the the Bay Areas wrong side of the tracks. Housing | So, what, that is me, but I am not looking for a free ride and instead, I volunteer and help local charities. Grappling with homelessness, California weighs extending foster care for 5 years A homeless child looks over the park at an oncoming airplane. He was a good person and I do not believe that he took his life. The downtown portion of the trail system is within the 250-acre Guadalupe River Park with many points of interest. Get Morning Report and other email newsletters. Conservancy volunteers will spend hours cleaning the park, only to see it covered in trash a week later, Su said. Thanks. Related Articles New York has done it, Nevada has done it, Colorado has done it. Could easily fit 2-3 people in them. She used the Guadalupe River Park as her case study in a newly released Coexistence Toolkit, but said the report is for any organization that wants to shift public perception of the homeless and rethink public space design to work for everyone. If they have true mental issues, they need real help. Currently there are blue no trespassing signs that are almost inviting. GPS: 29.853, -98.504. Sanctioned encampments with rules and enforcement of no camping everywhere else. It is the way forward. Talking to many, I got a sense that they just do not want to work. Still, the task of housing everyone is monumental in Silicon Valley. Homeless people have created a Public Health problem affecting themselves and society. Total Wages: Total wages reported by the employer from Box 5 of the W-2, with some exceptions, and Elected Officials who received pay reported on IRS Form 1099. Single dads. Thats where we run into a rub though. Jim Salata for congress! Hire 50 people whose job it is to keep the trash cleaned up and maintain porta potties to try to reduce the amount of pooping in the river. 87.9k members in the SanJose community. In addition to picking up trash including large, bulky items and hypodermic needles team members also try to engage the homeless park residents they meet, and get them involved in Downtown Streets or other programs that could help them. Stanford University sues Santa Clara County to give tax relief to faculty homeowners, The 10 most expensive reported home sales in Palo Alto the week of Feb. 20, Four-bedroom home sells for $2 million in Danville, setting up a cluster of prefab, modular housing units, Filipino bakerys addictive sweet bread now available in Brentwood, Super sandwiches: 16 of the Bay Areas best sandos to try right now, Brawl forces end of NorCal high school basketball playoff game, Riordan-Inderkum playoff brawl: CIF hands down punishment after player taken to hospital, After 40 years, Caspers Hot Dogs is closing in Walnut Creek, Please stop calling 911 about planets in the sky, sheriffs office in Modesto requests, Info stolen in Oakland ransomware attack set to be released, Salesforce pays Matthew McConaughey $10 million a year as it lays off thousands, Authorities: Man bombed PG&E transformers in South San Jose, After a three-day break, the Bay Area is expected to see more rain, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. Shuttles, tubes, air, all at City Park. The scenic Guadalupe River flows through Guadalupe River State Park, providing scenery and recreation. Why have they never calculated how much urine and feces the homeless dump (no pun intended) into our environment every year. Before the pandemic, I used to commute everyday on bike along the trail. The City Council voted unanimously at its May 3 meeting to push the deadline to Sept. 30 pending FAA approval with about 130 people still living in the camp. I am over 60 now and I work 7 days a week, surprisingly, it makes me feel better and I must do it to make ends meet in this expensive place we live. The houseless are clearly not nomadic migrants seeking the most generous social safety net, as libertarian and neoliberal sociopaths suggest. Whatever happened to that plan to would enable San Jose to be the next best city next to SF?!! The Guadalupe River Park Conservancy provides community leadership for the development and active use of the Guadalupe River Park & Gardens through education, advocacy and stewardship. In all, these residences can house about 4,200 people with additional space for a few hundred more if needed. The Guadalupe River Park opened in 2005 and was, at the time, considered ground-breaking in flood protection infrastructure and public space design. This is made easier, especially, if they can get free meals (Churches), free money/food from the Government, and then many steal the rest. The Guadalupe River park had a master plan to be a beautiful park with walkways, gardens, boats, paddle boats, and luxury high rises. Homeless KTVU FOX 2 Dorm-like structures proposed for San Jose's unhoused population near Guadalupe River San Jose's mayor is proposing building high quality, dorm-like structures on an. Guadalupe River Park never was a popular destination for SJ residents and upkeep and maintenance were ignored by the City right from the beginning. In that time, I got a very close-up view of thousands of homeless people and found there are distinct differences. Can we create something new that perhaps has a benefit for everyone? asked Ragan Henninger, deputy director of the San Jose Housing Department. Talk about pollution! Walters: Is ending Californias homelessness just a matter of money? But the case of California college and university students, historically a relatively privileged segment, indicates the erosion has been much broader, hitting traditionally middle class, even upper middle class, social supports. Staying Safe Know your limits. With some Medi-Cal enrollees no longer qualifying or unaware they need to renew their coverage, officials estimate 2 million to 3 million people could lose their health insurance. In short, the Houseless Us. PART II: The Houselessness We See is But One Facet of Social Decay. I really do believe that we don't spend enough time really unpacking some of the challenges we have when it comes to safetyor our perception of safetyand these other elements, she says. Residents who move in would be asked to help pick up trash and maintain the park. The first group had hope for a helping hand to get them out of their despair. I had never heard that. Flooding along Guadalupe River, Ross Creek expected In the South Bay, Tuesday's storm is bringing concerns of flooding and an alert to hundreds of residents near Willow Glen in San Jose. MidnightScott17 3 yr. ago. Theres been vandalism and people trying to break in. Our drug addicted need treatment. Stetson and Lauer for focusing attention on the vitally important question of houselessness in our community. Discover this 5.4-mile loop trail near Alviso, California. (Photo by Greg Ramar). A natural beauty, the lovely Guadalupe River boasts sparklingly clear waters and scenic tree-lined banks. Great insight. Most of the homeless are mentally ill, alcohol or drug dependent, and a lot pushed off on us by other states/cities with a one-way bus ticket. Housing | Number. Copyright 2023 San Jose Inside. It is a resource of regional importance to the people of Santa Clara County and the Bay Area. Look into the job market, salaries, the cost of living in an area before buying that bus ticket to the promised land? Learn more Volunteer at the River Park But heyin the small chance that youre actually sober and of sound mind, why not use some common sense? GUADALUPE RIVER PARK CONSERVANCY - 204 Photos & 71 Reviews - 438 Coleman Ave, San Jose, CA - Yelp Restaurants Home Services Guadalupe River Park Conservancy 71 reviews Claimed Parks Edit Open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM See hours See all 209 photos Write a review Add photo from the Target store) you are missing out. Like other sites, occupants would have their own private sleeping quarters and bathrooms, as well as access to mental health care, case management and other services. Housing | Theres a lot of investment happening in town, but what scares me is if some of these investors decide theyre fed up because we cant clean this place up.. Whats so hard about this? Residents and businesses went to the press to show the overwhelming blight and danger to health for all. That revenue estimate was based on 100% participation of the citys estimated 52,000 gun-owning households one of every 15 city adults. And lawbreakers need discipline housed or unhoused.