During the day, its best to observe from the safety of a hammock or a pool deck. The average high during this season is between 92.8F (33.8C) and 90.2F (32.3C). So if you want to hammock it up along the coast, this is the spot. El Paredon Guatemala surf spot is also suitable for intermediate surfers. Explore The Pacific Slope. The surf here in winter, when the waves are at their best, are of decent size. When I visited here this place was actually called Finka Mistia. In fact, you might as well watch it every night! Im pretty sure we have all had travel plans messed up because of COVID and not all insurers covered this. Sean is the founder of the travel blog, LivingOutLau. The prices Im sure will have increased by now but I would have totally paid more to stay here. and offers the balance of tranquil vibes around the pool along with medium doses of lets get in the ocean and surf baby! You can opt for beachfront bungalows, shared dorms (perfect for solo travellers) and sea view suites! During the day, most people prefer to spend their time in the water. The 20km. The small surf town of El Paredon, Guatemala, is safe to visit! Hold your shoes, dont leave them somewhere! The ride here from Antigua is around 2 hours and 3 hours from Guatemala city. Is El Paredon Guatemala safe? Unlike surfing which you have to do in the sea, you can stand-up paddleboard in the river, which means that you dont have to worry about the violent waves. Ultimate Guide to El Paredon, Guatemala Wander Her Way Here are the best ways to explore and enjoy this little slice of paradise in Guatemala. Monterrico is the more popular Guatemalan beach choice, as its much more built up, with more choice of places to stay. There are shuttles leaving every day from the popular locations in Guatemala. Many hotels offer classes and equipment at affordable prices, so you dont have to worry about being inexperienced. El Paredon is known as an up-and-coming destination ever since it caught the attention of many foreign surfers. The cost of the shuttle is Q90 (about $12) each way to and from Antigua, and there are usually two departures daily. Because of its location, facing entirely South and out of the shadow of the Galapagos Islands, any south swell that comes out of the Antarctic will hit El Paredon in full force. If you take a tour or do an activity through La Choza Chula, your money will go back into the local community. I also recommend buying meals/snacks from local business instead of only eating at expat-owned restaurants and hotels. El Nido Paredon Hotel room in El Paredon Zala House - King-Suite 2 $127 night 4.93 (27) SUPERHOST Private room in El Paredn Buena Vista Villa Maran - private room with AC and pool $98 4.98 (49) SUPERHOST Home in El Paredon BarriOceano - Barrel Cottage $150 SUPERHOST Private room in El Paredon Villa Kaikora Guesthouse in El Paredon The Best El Paredn Buena Vista Hotels, Guatemala (From $30) Since then the ownership has changed and it is now calledCasa Macano Surf-Yoga. Its a wild feeling and very unique. It is among the most popular destinations in the country due to its friendly locals, stunning landscape, and laid-back atmosphere. How magical is that!? Dont come here with the wrong idea. There are many surf schools and accommodations that offer surf lessons and a place to rent a surfboard if you dont have your own. With no plans to stop anytime soon Im always looking for my next adventure be it attempting to surf or climbing a volcano Ill try (almost) anything once! I also use Travel Insurance Master for some short vacation type trips as they are cheaper than World Nomads a lot of the time. If you just speak to someone at our accommodation they will organize lessons for you. The weather in El Paredon was great every single day I was there. Stay up-to-date on the coronavirus outbreak They guarantee all visitors will have the best experience while taking a tour with them, and all profits are reinvested in their community development projects. If youve never surfed before, most hostels will offer lessons. Your options are Thai Curry, Indian Curry or Noodles. In fact, its the best Thai Curry Ive had outside of Thailand! Theyve worked on building local libraries and schools. Hotel in El Paredn Buena Vista. Read More: What Should You Pack For Guatemala? It is truly a quiet surf destination in an unlikely place. Instead, the easiest and still reasonably priced way to get here is to just book a shuttle! Despite its tiny size, the whole place feels like a different world, compared to the rest of the country. Eating local is one of my favourite things to do in Guatemala and is one of the best things to do in El Paredon because 1. The accommodations are varied, something for almost every . Thank you! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. World Nomads is great for incidents that happen prior to your trip, so if you get sick or are unable to travel due to travel restrictions some of their policies will cover that as cancellation cover. HomeContactWork With UsPrivacy PolicyArchive. Driftwood Surfer Hostel raises money each year to buy eggs from the poachers and donates them to the conservatory. IM MOLLIE AND I STARTED THIS BLOG BACK IN 2013 WHEN I HEADED OUT ON MY FIRST BACKPACKING ADVENTURE. This museum, about 2.75km on foot or 5km by vehicle from El Bal hilltop site, comprises a very fine open-air assemblage of Pipil stone sculpture. See the exact locations of these spots on the Guatemala Google Map Legend. Book: Mellow Hostel | Driftwood Hostel | Cocori Lodge, RELATED: The Essential Beach Packing List (+ Fun Items and Tips!). Kayak the mangroves to the left of the town. Youll explore deep into the mangrove and see all the different species living there whilst learning about the importance of mangroves here in El Paredon. El Paredon Sur Camp is the first original place at El Paredon Beach, it is a great place for anyone from experienced surfers, beginners or travelers with a taste for a rustic, relaxing, hostel-style place to stay on the beach. The dorm rooms arent bunk beds which I see as a huge plus. There are quite a few places to stay in El Paredon. If you are looking for a luxurious beach getaway or a beach that you can bask on for hours and hours while being catered to, this is NOT the place to go! Tourist busses from Antigua to el Paredon are faster and safer and more comfortable, which are three good reasons why you would want to use them. The graph below shows the % chance of rainy and snowy days in El Paredon. I know of many people who came to El Paredon for a short time, and then just never left, Here are some other random things to know before you visit, There are no ATMs in El Paredon. A lot smaller than Id imagined. It is only two hours away from Antigua Guatemala, so you can get there quickly. If you have a portable one then that is even better! Crowds naturally gather in this location come sunset so its a very social place to grab a drink and join in with the beach volleyball which, during my stay, seemed to be daily occurance. I know Guatemala from the many volcanos and the beautiful Lake Atitlan. In this post, I am going to go through how to get from Antigua to the beach El Paredon, where to stay in El Paredon, what to eat and a few not-to-miss things to do. Their mission is to create locally-driven projects that ensure the educational and environmental development of El Paredn and neighbouring communities. Average temperatures in El Paredon vary very little. Described as one of the Top 10 Surf Destinations in the World by The Guardian, this little fishing village is only around 2 hours from the well-known colonial city of Antigua.It boasts some of the most spectacularly unspoilt stretches of black-sand beach, dusty village roads, and endlessly diverse mangrove forests. This is the place to do it. It costs only $1 USD more than Driftwood Surfer but has a much bigger pool and a relaxing daytime vibe. Grab some drinks, some snacks and maybe your surfboard too go soak up this glorious light. In most hostels, you will have the opportunity of staying at a beachfront property for a great price. It will certainly be the slowest and least pleasant. Exploring Hidden Gems and Eco-Tourism in El Paredon, Guatemala If you are a bit of an adventure junky then you could also book a Summit to Surf tour through OX Expeditions. This time three weeks ago, Playa el Paredon a popular surf spot on Guatemala's remote Pacific coast would have been packed. Top tip: The black sands get very hot during the day for obvious reasons so whilst its nice to be barefoot on the earth, Id bring flip flops to save yourself the burn! Keep in mind this town is mega small! This advisory was last updated on Sep 09, 2019. As of Oct 07, 2019 there are travel warnings for Guatemala; exercise a high degree of caution. One of the most exciting attractions in El Paredon is the nearby mangroves in Sipacate Naranjo National Park. Guatemala is home to 37 volcanoes, three of which are constantly active. Secret Guatemala: the Black Beaches of El Paredn One of the main spots to hang out! Bring a towel and your camera and enjoy the show that light ups the sky. It had literally all gone. I hope you can make it out this way when visiting this beautiful country. It is a 2-hour drive from Antigua Guatemala, and a 3-hour drive from Guatemala City. Where are your favourite things to do in El Paredon, Guatemala? Here, guests can experience the magic of baby turtles hatching and running into the sea. El Paredon in Guatemala is something I didnt expect when visiting here. Happy days! One of their most popular activities is a homestay. You can book transport in Guatemala with them here and Guatemalan tours with them here. var Latitude=13.921353;var Longitude=-91.068703;var rootSlug='el-paredon-gt';var PlaceName='El Paredon';var today = new Date();var dd = String(today.getDate()+2).padStart(2, '0');var mm = String(today.getMonth() + 1).padStart(2, '0');var yyyy = today.getFullYear();today= yyyy + '-' + mm + '-' + dd; The best times to visit El Paredon for ideal weather are. The WiFi at Mellow Hostel works very well, but I heard it can be not so great at other places. This website uses affiliate links, meaning I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through a link at no extra cost to you. Other than this it is practically not worth grabbing your board to head out there, which is sad. Read More: Guatemala Bucket List Best Things To Do In Guatemala. The streets of El Paredn, Guatemala / Paredon Surf Club Facebook Page The beach is fronted by a line of small hotels and hostels. See average monthly temperatures below. I spent 4 days earlier this month on the volcanic black sands of El Paredon and so if youre looking for an insight into what to expect, where to stay and the best things to do in El Paredon Guatemala dont move an inch. Make sure you take out plenty of cash before you come, because not everywhere accepts credit cards (or you might have to pay a large fee.). To start off, the design of the property is gorgeous. Before or after the midday sun, take a stroll along the beach and soak up the tranquillity of El Paredon. This is a really unique experience because you really get to share and experience how the local people here in El Paredon live. 76 68. See more information on their website here. Make friends with the local dogs, roll out a towel, cover yourself in suncream and read your book! La Choza Chula is a non-profit that empowers locals by creating authentic experiences. Heres what you need to know to have the perfect beach escape in El Paredon. This was during peak season in January 2022. Its developing quite fast there and for good reason. This is one of the most popular spots! So make sure that you know what youre doing or go out with a surf camp. Message your host / accommodation ahead of time to arrange. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. You can also rent a surfboard at almost any place you stay. El Paredon Guatemala Surf - A Complete Guide By A Surfer I think thats the name anyway! So when looking for travel insurance its important to check it covers travel disruption due to COVID-19, World Nomads, Safety Wing, or Travel Insurance Master all provide cover for this. I am certainly no stranger to adventure, outward and within. Take a bracelet making class with some of the local girls from the village. I stayed here for 4 nights back in March and it was a nice way to end our time in Guatemala. Fro. Depending on when you come to El Paredon, there wont be a ton of restaurants that you are used to having. Just be careful when swimming in the ocean. There are only about 5 places to stay there (a few more options and it is growing) If you want to surf in Guatemala you need to either go early in the morning or after 5 pm There is little to no wifi in El Paredon Everything is within walking distance so no need for transport to and from places. Within their mission, La Choza Chula also offer local experiences that will immerse you deep into the local culture and will give you the unique chance to see and experience the way the locals do things. Before the world wakes up and before the heat of the sun rises, take the time to wander down to the beach and enjoy a meditation, podcast, surf session, walk or run. Ultimate Guide to the Acatenango Volcano Hike, The Complete Guide to Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. It is a very safe place to visit but you should always be careful of the street dogs. What To Do in El Paredon, Guatemala - Twirl The Globe Not many people will be swimming because of the rip currents and the big waves that rip through here. I would suggest a minimum of 2 nights so you can take the time to relax as well as get a surf lesson and go turtle watching! Since I have to eat and drink because I am human it made it very worth it! What Should You Pack For Guatemala? And those hippies that walk around beach towns barefooted regret all their life choices when they come here thinking they will do the same. There arent as many accommodations to choose from in El Paredon as there are other popular tourist attractions in Guatemala. El Paredon is an off-the-beaten-path destination located about a 2.5 hour drive from Antigua. El Paredon is known as an up-and-coming destination ever since it caught the attention of many foreign surfers. They also have incredible pancakes for breakfast and great smoothies! Those willing to visit at these times will likely find it the least expensive month. If you are looking for a luxurious hotel in El Paredon, then Kaan Surf is the perfect place for you. Wind in El Paredon is usually extremely calm. The sun gets extremely red and big. Youll spot all the local wildlife, from ibises to herons and turtles. When I visited I was super lucky to stumble upon the place as it wasnt online at all back then. I would recommend coming here and getting a class instead of going alone unless you have a decent amount of experience. The graph below shows the average % humidity by month in El Paredon. If you are going to eat fish in Guatemala, this is the place to do it! Cost 150q ($20) access only; they do not have their day pass fees go towards a tab which is unfortunate. the decoration of the property is beautiful, and the host is more than welcoming! Check this page for any recent changes or regions to avoid: Travel Advice and Advisories. The Mellow hostel is a little bit pricier when compared to the other options in the area but for good reason. Explore Guatemala's mystical, mountainous, and volcanic landscapes on this tour, including hiking, biking, and boating. Where is El Paredn? For full information, please see my disclaimerhere. El Paredon is situated along a river filled with mangroves, which empties out into the ocean. Disclosure: Where in the World is Nina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, MileValue, as well as other affiliate programs, designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you. They are around 3 to 5 feet or larger even. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the pool and intermittently walked to the beach Anahi United States of America 9.3 Many people will flock to Antigua, Lake Atitlan, or the Mayan ruins. Marchs average wind speed of around 3.6 knots (4.2 MPH or 6.7 KPH) is considered light air. Maximum sustained winds (the highest speed for the day lasting more than a few moments) are at their highest in early February where average top sustained speeds reach 13.8 knots, which is considered a moderate breeze. You will soon get used to it as you see no one else surfing during those other hours of the day. El Paredon consists of one main road with multiple shops on either side and smaller dirt roads around it. This is a very small beach town, dont just show up! Ive linked to the places on Booking.com but those not linked you will need to call to book. I picked one of the very last available when I booked (Sunrise Hostal) and it was perfect for what I was looking for. Some of the events that happen are beer pong tournaments and trivia nights. Our best data indicates this area is somewhat safe. 7 Travel Shoes for Women That Are Functional AF. Some of the other activities you can book through them include: As you will come soon find out, partying is very popular in this area of Guatemala. Join our mailing list to get the latest updates!! Every day, he is traveling and sharing his discoveries of the world through exceptional travel guides on his blog! Sgueme en Instagram como JULSGOES #guatemala #beachhotel #beachlife #hotel.julsgoes | Publicar el sorteo en mi InstagramQuieres ganarte 1 noche aqu ? Lisbon is alread, Brand new travel guide: A Guide To Planning Your W, Craving the coast? 2023 Wander Her Way. It rains or snows a significant amount: 2 to 11 days per month. Double-check before you go if the place youre staying has WiFi, and what people say about it. and a cool outdoor space including a pool, hammocks, and airy loft. El Paredon is more for backpackers, and though it is a little bit smaller, more of the locals speak English. Learn more. You might also like: Acatenango Volcano Hike - The ultimate 2 day adventure in Guatemala If the place youre staying doesnt have its own pool, you can get a day pass at Mellow Hostel for Q150 (which includes Q100 bar tab.) However, even though it is extremely well-known, this beach town maintains its laid-back, almost remote feeling. But other than that, this little surf town is a very peaceful place where nobody will harm you. This is a non-profit tour company that is famous in El Paredon for its tours. Luckily there are a few little hammock huts along the beach, but those are for guests only; we will talk more about this in a sec! This reserve, administered by Cecon (Centro de Estudios Conservacionistas de la Universidad de San Carlos), is Monterrico's biggest attraction. Finca El Zapote ofrece a sus visitantes cientos de actividades por hacer al aire libre, siendo un lugar paradisaco con vistas impresionantes. I got the fish tacos which were amazing. They have all the usuals, pool, food, bar, hammock hut on the beach and they often have parties and live music. If there are particular food or snacks you wish to bring with you, make sure you purchase them before your stay in El Paredon. See all of Mollies adventures and guides here. If you want to stay a little longer I would recommend speaking to, If you are a bit of an adventure junky then you could also book a Summit to Surf tour through OX Expeditions. El Paredon, Guatemala, is a small and sleepy surf town. And definitely keep in mind if you book another place, the town is small and you might still here the music if youre close enough. It is nice to walk along the water to see the other parts of the area and to truly see how remote you are. I started Claires Itchy Feet to inspire women to pack their bags and travel more. They also offer homestays, cooking classes, and more. La Choza Chula are a social enterprise and rely on donations/tour bookings to drive their mission another reason to book your adventures here! This is where we stayed and we loved it! These cookies do not store any personal information. This tour involves hiking, The Solo Girls Guide To Traveling Without Fear, The Solo Girls Guide To Becoming A Digital Nomad, El Paredon Surfing Where to surf in El Paredon, book transport in Guatemala with them here. Ive been surfing in many places around the world, including Ecuador, Morocco, Portugal, and Mexico. It features an on-site restaurant serving some of the best food in El Paredon. Founder of Wheres Mollie / We Are Global Travellers, content creator, photographer and videographer. Here are some of the best places to stay in El Paredon: This is one of the nicest hotels in El Paredon, yet it is still very affordable. If youre going to walk on the beach, walk along the wet part and run there because the dry sand will scald you on the way. There is nothing like relaxing in a hammock in the afternoon while a breeze is cooling you off. Daily highs (averaged for the month) usually give the best indication of the weather. Please see myDisclosurefor more details. Youll be watching the sun go down after another day in paradise with everyone else in El Paredon, its a social time to be at the beach for sure! El Paredon Surf Camp is the surf camp that I went with when I was here, and they were super cool and very reasonably priced. Top Hotels in El Paredon from $55 - Expedia There are multiple options on how to get to El Paredon, depending on where you are. Many hostels will have a set of their own as well as Airbnbs. Its highly advised to book accommodation before arriving. Please see myDisclosurefor more details. If you want to stay a little longer I would recommend speaking to La Choza Chula as they have plenty of volunteer opportunities. Nights in El Paredon can be relaxing, but when the weekend comes around, the town comes to life with beach bonfires, live music at Cocor Lodge, and drinking games at the Driftwood Surfer. Best Times to Travel Guatemala El Paredon, Guatemala, Tourism graph is based on Google searches for services used by tourists relative to the rest of the year. With these amazing Guatemalan cooking experiences, youll get a chance to go to a local familys kitchen and learn how to prepare authentic Guatemalan dishes. This small, laidback fishing village is located on the Pacific coast of Guatemala, about two hours from Antigua and three and a half hours from the capital. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. After a morning surf or if youre just waking up from last nights party, it is never a bad time to relax by the pool. Relax in a hammock or the pool, and grab a bite to eat! Their tours provide an alternative income stream for many of the locals. Im not joking; this town is pretty desolate! Yes, you should! And What Not To Pack? Is it Safe to Travel to El Paredon? When you arrive here it feels so remote but that is why I fell in love with this place. Its never far! El Paredon Beach is not the typical beach to lay on all day while tanning. Thank you for reading my guide about El Paredon in Guatemala! This isnt the normal beach destination that you will see in other areas around Central America. There are some good spots along the beachfront where you can set it up. 1 knot = 1.15 MPH or 1.85 KPH. Located in El Paredn Buena Vista, a 3-minute walk from El Paredon Beach, Casa Zala has accommodations with an outdoor swimming pool, free private parking, a garden and a shared lounge. Your Guide to El ParedonGuatemala's Surf Town - Where in the World Youll drive past lots of birds (some of which are migrating up north to Alaska or some that are migrating down south) as pass the mouth to the ocean and then head to a place where turtles have been living for hundreds of years. What a perfect way to end your trip here than to watch the amazing sunset this area has to offer. But, El Paredon must be one of the safest places in Central America. The sand becomes less hot which is also a great time to walk down the beach and explore. It was even kind of burning my feet when it got kicked into my flip flops.