Barnutopia is a stunning venue for a wedding or even just for a break away in the beautiful peaceful countryside with the stunning views; we would 100% recommend this little gem to everybody, the photos do not do it justice. Must also mention the warm welcome we got from the owners, staff and customers in the local pub, really enjoyed the cider :-) Thanks everyone, see you again soon. Thank you looking forward to booking sometime this year. Although both breeds are true grazing pigs, the piglets mature at much different rates. Thanks to Steve, Katrina and family who were so friendly, helpful and perfect hosts . It also helps maintain and preserve the breed as . We would definitely look into returning in the future (if you will have us back )! Some guests tell us they come only to meet our piggies. Experience thereby has an important role in reducing aggression. Cant wait to return to barnutopia for a break next year and to meet the new donkeys! A farm pig may be more like 8-10 years vs a pet can live anywhere from 15-20 years. This gilt's pregnancy indicator is pointing up. She and Steve and their family all worked really hard to make the wedding day and the rest of the weekend special for all of us. Splitting Boys From Girls: Separate gilts and boars by about 6 months of age. Originating from New Zealand, they have a very mellow and laid-back temperament. We had our wedding party here in late September and it was just perfect. Overgrown and unmaintained hooves, nails, and tusks can cause soreness and severe pain if left unaddressedthey can even be responsible for infections, appetite loss, movement issues, and more. Learn how to create a happy, healthy home for your pet. We went for a wedding last month, and were blown away by how stunning Barnutopia is. If you find a tick on a pig, spray the tick with an insect repellent containing pyrethrin or a pyrethroid, twice at 10-minute intervals. Here's a summary of my findings: Kunekune are the smallest breed of pigs. Do I eat my pigs? While there is no breed standard for size, they are usually about 60cm/2ft tall, but they can vary from 40-70cm. Wattles: Some Kunes have wattles. Our Kunekune's are a much . We would definitely recommend it! Because they root less, Kunekunes are not as hard on fields and fences as other breeds. Xxx, A magical wedding and glamping venue, even in the winter! Generally, you do not need to assist in this natural process or provide them with a haircut. Kunekune pigs require a lot of care, but none of it is considered particularly hard. Pronounced "koo-nee koo-nee," (which translates to "fat and round"), these pigs have very similar care requirements to pet pot-bellied pigs. Sometimes they lose their coats for a variety of reasons. Her farrowing pen should be dry and warm. They love having a fuss made of them and will lie for hours while you rub their tummies. The breakfast served the following morning was delicious and they couldn't have done any more for us. kune kune with attitude . From beginning to end Katrina and the team were extremely, helpful, supportive and welcoming. Additionally, smaller families might find the Kunekune to be a great fit. I was worried I would be cold but. In captivity, kunekune pigs can be fed a variety of different foods. Had the whole site for the weekend. Kunekune sows come in heat every 18 to 22 days until bred. are very welcoming. Thank you, thank you, thank you xx. Of course, the need for grain depends on the quality of your pastures. And our dog had a great time playing with his new friends (Zorro & Zeba). They can be weaned at 8 weeks and go to new homesat 9 weeks, at which point they weigh about 13 lbs (6 Kg) . Purchase Cost: Kunes tend to be more expensive than other breeds of pig. Densely stock the field you want to work on. Itll depend on where you live but the average cost can range from about $300 for a piglet to $600-800 for adults. They can weigh between 150 and 400 pounds with the males generally being heavier and taller than females. They need a nice warm covered area to sleep in. We were so well. Also the pancake breakfast is awesome :) Kunekunes come in a range of sizes, from very small, to standard pig size and very large. Our children loved the space, Interacting with the animals and having a treasure hunt organised just for them! Milk raised pork makes for tasty meat . A minimum shelter size for 2 pigs would be roughly 4 feet by 6 feet. 1 year - 1.5 years ~ 1 3/4 cup twice a day. Kunekune pigs are very docile and sweet, which makes them a great pet for first-time pig owners. Massive thank you to Katrina, Steve, and family for making us so welcome. This can become a problem when you think you're adopting an adorable little piglet that then grows into a large pet that needs a lot of space. Farrowing huts should be roughly 7.5 by 5 feet. Their slow growth rate means that they will not pay off if youre selling them for pork. It is observed mostly in pigs from birth two weeks. These little pigs are fairly new to the United States and are growing in many niche markets. We have made beautiful memories with our friends and family and would recommend anyone getting married to book this place! . Katrina and Steve were fabulous hosts, friendly and welcoming. They are genetically similar to the Old Poland Breed from China. Check it out! Breeders in a couple of states in the United States are out there, so check out local rescue or enthusiast groups near you for some direction. It consists of a flap of skin on either side of their neck. Another individual mentioned crushed piglets as being a genetic thing. Unless you have overfed your sow, and shes excessively fat, she will seldom lay on her piglets and crush them. We will definitely be back! deep sense of contentment. Barnutopia is so tranquil and it was bliss to get away from everything in the beautiful countryside. Do not try to fatten your Kunekune pigs like you would other breeds of pigs. Keep Kunekune gilts (young females) away from intact boars from the time they are weaned. We had a great time at Barnutopia, Steve and Katrina are on hand to help with anything they can. case you forgot anything - which is always nice. helpful, answering loads of questions over email before we went. So many options and packages to choose from, she was more than accommodating to our needs. The yurts and huts were charming and the barn was a brilliant rustic place to party and the 360 views were breathtaking. Nose rings are considered unkind. Congratulations on everything in such a short amount of time. For now, feel free to continue reading. and the owners Katrina and Steve really made us and our 50 guests more than welcome. He tried to bite me 4 times. Absolutely fantastic place. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases., Raising PIGS for BEGINNERS! I cannot wait to plan our next trip!!! They are native to New Zealand. The Kunekune pig is also very easy to handle, especially if you have established a good relationship with them. In a sense, you can domesticate a kunekune pig, though they will always be considered a "wild" animal. The setting is beautiful and the site is enclosed and safe meaning the (many) children were free to enjoy themselves, leaving the grown ups to catch up. Thanks Steve and katrina for such s memorable weekend. Can I say as a seasoned camper how lovely it was to Glamp for a change (we did pitch a our tent this time) and to use all the facilities that were offered with it. call every evening! If its not good for you, its not good for them. We purchased a breeding pair of kunekune last spring. the river, ran about non stop for hours, painted pictures and played in the party barn. So, they tend to poop outside. Breakfast was lovely. We cant wait to visit Barnutopia again in the future and would highly recommend this venue for weddings and other large events as well as family holidays. Additional costs. I have girls that lay . Katrina, Steve and family were very hospitable and welcoming. Not all Kunekune have these "piri piris" that hang around their jaw. The yurts are beautiful, clean and. Smashing to have found somewhere that is REALLY dog friendly. Usually around the age of 8 months, Kunekune boars reach sexual maturity. Mags and Sean x, Had a lovely 2days break away here. Less fluffy bedding like wood chips also makes it easier for piglets to move around. My sis in law and two 7yo's had an amazing time in a yurt last night as part of a 30th birthday party! We hired the whole site for a family festival to celebrate a big birthday. The party barn was just perfect as was the accommodation, setting, delicious breakfasts, facilities and service. Everything was fantastic, the location is beautiful, accommodation so, cosy and the venue itself is incredible. My husband Paul and I chose Barnutopia as our wedding venue, taking place last weekend. Kune Kune Pigs are GRASS EATERS that DO NOT root up your yard and also eat forage/orchard/alfalfa. to coming back again!! Absolutely everything exceeded expectations. Or a combination of bars and heat lamps help as well. It looks like a seizure, the pig shakes and stumbles. The wedding day went seamlessly and our guests were blown away by the venue. comfortable. How much does a KuneKune pig cost? Females average 100 to 175 pounds, while males can reach the 200 to 250-plus range. We ended up with Kunekune X Mangalitsa crosses this year. Very friendly and sociable atmosphere sitting around the, campfire toasting marshmallows under the stars , I cant express how much fun me and my family had over this Easter weekend at Barnutopia. Other places allow pigs up to a certain size to be kept as pets, as long as they are kept on a leash or in an enclosed area outdoors. They have to be wormed every 6 months by giving an injection you can do yourself. A very welcoming and friendly place, stunning landscape all around, great walks and beautiful Waterfall really close. When compared to commercial pigs, they don't need as much protein, so it is quite common to grass feed them with the combination of other vitamins and minerals they need. Had the best time and we will be back again! 2 months - 4 months ~ 1/2 cup twice a day. I would recommend this venue for anyone considering a weekend away, party, or wedding venue. Jungle Meat Pigs - $150 (Chico) Jungle Meat pigs. They respect electric fences. The average weight of a kunekune pig differs in both female and male pigs. Sat in the peaceful, countryside just chilling and enjoyying the sun. Kunekune pigs often have wattles under their chins. A new study with Kune Kune pigs, has now shown for the first time that pigs do learn from each other. Thank you so much for your friendly welcome, we will be back next year. Just returned from a fabulous weekend away at Barnutopia with a group of girls Katrina & Steve have a great venue, they are fab hosts and nothing was too much trouble Facilities were all close to hand, with everything clean and homely. Thank you for looking after me with the gluten free. We had a wonderful time - from the treasure hunt. Wonderful, tranquil place. Katrina and Steve went above and beyond to help us, and make us welcome. . Do pigs bite? I'm super allergic to life, so she even pestered her laundry to find out what sort of washing powder they used, and washed bedding separately for me, so that I didn't have to bring my own! The family that own this are absolutely the best!! I would recommend this place to anyone! Thank you again xx. The weather was brilliant and even when the heavens opened later in the evening, everything was in hand. Kunekune pigs are pregnant on average for about 116 days. The breakfast and evening meals provided are wholesome and tasty, setting us up for our hike of Snowdon! They can get about 4 feet (1.2 meters long) and weigh about 130 - 220 lbs (60 to 100 Kg), with the males weighing considerably heavier than females. romantic, cosy feel in beautiful surroundings, We're just back from a wonderful few days of glamping and wedding celebrations at Barnutopia. Wonderful hosts and a comfortable stay in, stable Stephanie. Thank you! However, trimming can be a challenging task for a new owner, which is why we advise seeking professional help or assistance from a veterinarian. We have just run a wonderful 5 day camp at Barnutopia, Steve & Katrina & their family couldn't have been more helpful. Gary. It could only enhance the yurt glamping experience. This goes together with high levels of exhaustion. The ears of the Kunekune pig can be erect or semi erect. Booked the site for the whole weekend for a friend's Hen party and the place was just lovely with a great and friendly, family who run it too and make you really welcome We had loads of fun on the scavenger hunt and the yurts and other accommodation was great. , A fantastic retreat with lots of glamour, rolling hills and friendly pigs . Would highly recommend! What Are Farrowing Crates and Are They Ethical or Not? Copyright 2022-2023 Alisha Falcone. Horse fencing is a bit more robust yet still affordable. On Saturday, David and the kids and I drove to a Kune Kune pig breeder farm south of Richmond ( Virginia Kune Kunes) and picked up the two newest additions to our little crazy family, a little black and white girl piglet who now goes by Tinkerbell, and a little orange boy piglet who now goes by Mr . Alternatively, you can feed them rich alfalfa hay to provide for their protein needs. Breakfast is well worth it, I am still full from the pancakes, yum. Nothing was a bother and children felt free. all the staff that made our stay and the wedding so enjoyable. And there you have it. The kune kune (or kunekune) breed is reared for meat as well as pets. outstanding. My daughter and I had a fantastic time First time glamping and we had the best time from start to finish was sad to, leave food was great and we was so well looked after and made to feel welcome massive thank you to the Barnutopia team hopefully be back again next year. They are less common than potbellied pigs are so, they aren't found in many rescue shelters but expect them to cost around $25-$600 to adopt. They are intelligent and affectionate creatures that learn quickly, making them a great pet option for the proper family and household. To train a spoiled pig, restrict food to small meals, 2 or 3 times a day. Highly recommend a trip to Barutopia. After 30 years of breeding our small pet pigs we now feature the next generation of Royal Dandies the Dandie Extremes. Mr and, Mrs B are so helpful, recommending places and dinning options, try the breakfast, pancakes to die for, everything you need is there, and the animals are an added bonus! Lovely owners, waiting to help, great venue indoors & outdoors.. What a wonderful few days we have had, amazing place, wonderful people, will definitely be returning. If you choose to house your kunekune pig indoors, provide it with a place or room of its own. As olly put it, " I don't want to leave "! Just spent the weekend at Barnutopia for a hen weekend. Amazing location, set in a valley nestled amongst horses, sheep and pigs. Yurt was very comfortable and we were made very welcome the three boys loved feeding the horses playing with the kittens and feeding Felix the pig everything about the short stay was enjoyable including the free pancake breakfast we hope to return again. I also think its safe to say that very few farms have ideal pasture for pigs year-round. We had our wedding at barnutopia in August and we can't recommend this venue and staff enough. Pigs only sweat from their snouts, so it can be difficult for them to regulate their body temperature. weekend and had an amazing time. While a Kunekune pig is still a pig, this breed is less likely to root than some other breeds. The yurt was beautiful and very comfortable. The venue itself is stunning, even better than it looks on the photos. Whats Too Hot: Over 80F and you will want to supply your pigs with a pool or mud wallow to stay cool. However, in the meantime, you will enjoy their interesting, friendly personalities. Hay, straw, and pine wood chips (not cedar) are your best options. Younger pigs will eat smaller amounts, but at least some fresh pasture should be available at all times when there is grass. stunningly tranquil setting and the awesome pancake breakfasts at Barnutopia I felt compelled to write a review. Fort Wayne Children's Zoo | Indiana's #1 Summer Bucket List Destination Katrina was very professional in responding to our emails/and those from our suppliers and we would recommend Barnutopia to anyone looking for a unique location for their wedding. Higher protein pellets (up to 16 percent) should be offered in very cold weather. Females are generally ready to breed at 12-14 months of age, some up to 18 months of age. Kunekune pigs behave much like other pigs. The location is beautiful and accommodation is fantastic for a glamping weekend. 1. . As far as pigs go, Kunekune are easy on fences. Potty Trained? Thankyou all for an awesome day. And the bottom strand is eye level when the pig is sniffing or rooting the ground. Very nice people, Had an amazing couple of days, thank you for having us, we will definitely be back , Had a lovely weekend at Barnutopia!! Just like other pig breeds kunekune pigs should have a balanced diet, and we have to make sure to never overfeed them. Weve just gotten back from our vow renewal at Barnutopia, even after a long wait due to, covid and the rain we had an amazing time. Kunekune pigs are little. X. . It doesnt have to be fancy. Foraging keeps the pigs happy and intellectually stimulated. Thank you again. countryside with sprawling grassy hills, the views from the farm are spectacular. It is in a beautiful setting with stunning views and lots to do in the surrounding area. Its not worth it and the welds tend to come loose. The barn looked amazing and the sun even came out for us . Best practice is to halve the amounts below (which are recommended by the NZ Kunekune Society) and feed half in the morning and half at night. How Many Litters Per Year? Cost of a KuneKune ranges from $800-$1,600, and an average litter is about eight piglets. The barn and yurt field are spacious and really flexible to do what you want with. Productive Years For A Pig: Sows can continue to breed up until roughly 4-6 years of age, while boars may be done by 3-4 years of age due to weight. Made very welcome. you so so so much Katrina and Steve; you went above and beyond to help us with every detail and made sure our guests were very well fed with a yummy afternoon tea and bbq! Katrina and Steve went way above and beyond to make the venue party ready and the party perfect for me. I booked the whole site for my family and friends. We had a great stay and would definitely go back. Males its best to wait until theyre at least 12 months old. Katrina was. All of our kunekunes are pedigree, from various bloodlines. You may want to use electric fencing to keep the pigs from escaping your fields. We have stayed in Stable Stephanie and the lodge cabin. It was brilliant in every way. Thankyou for sharing your beautiful home and its surroundings. The surroundings fill you with. X, My little family had an amazing time at Barnutopia over Christmas. This place is fab rain or shine, can't recommend it enough! Kunekune pigs are exactly as their name is translated. Thank you! A good shelter will be draft free and dry. Theyre not escape artists; although it may be a good idea to put line of barbed wire on the bottom of a stock fence. Next you need to work on your armor and biomass. Thanks Katrina you were fab!! They don't do well in heat, so providing them with shade and ventilation is a must. It's best to acquire your pet pig from a young age, which will give you ample time to bond with them and gain their trust. They still have the unique short, wide snout the Kunekune is known for, but without the punched in, highly turned up nose. As long as you are able to provide your pig with all that it needs, it would be considered ethical to own one. Pizza on the first night, breakfast both days (we all agreed, the best pancakes we have ever eaten), afternoon tea (which was beautifully laid out) and an evening meal. Their upturned noses mean that Kunekune pigs are better suited for grazing than rooting. Venue hire Some homesteaders use it for making soap. Kunekune sows seldom need assistance. Sow/Gilts tend to get a Half Moon Shape to underside of their bellies about 2 1/2 to 3 months into their pregnancies. What more can I say. Under Applied Filters toward the top left of this page, click Breed. A wooden cabin sleeping up to 4 guest, A little snippet of Elizabeth and Luke's special, Our event barn can seat up to 120 guests with our, Our 3 Octayurt's Yurt Bronwyn (yellow door), Yurt, OFFER CLOSED: Opening Month Deals June 2015, County Parish Holding (CPH) number from the Rural Payments Agency (RPA), 30 Nuggets of Information About Miniature Hereford Cattle.