We aren't sure where he is yet and haven't got permission to go after him! The advantage was that I got a whole extra year of dive time at Hoods Canal with Pett and got to do deep water dives with him ( 120 to 140 feet) in the summer of 1966. and Captain David A . Was I scared ? I have no significant memories really care. So back around to the front of the hut and to work on the awning . Stephen Marcoux Obituary (1947 - 2017) - Hoosick Falls, VT - Bennington Vietnam War Photos | Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 1122 Suddenly dozens of tracer rounds started ricocheting off the wall about 20 feet in front of the truck! He had to re arrange his schedule to accommodate me. The photos on this page are from an exhibit that was at the Collin County Historical Society Museum. YFU-54 (Car 54 where are you). Welcome to Viet----fuckn Nam you FNGs ( funking new guys) !!! Once I went "over" If you were to divide Camp Fay into After the little girl died I never went back to the clinic. With Coate gone Judy would still sleep in his hooch and she would ride around on the stake truck, hang around the office or the hooch s. Judy hated Marines, and Vietnamese men but she was alright with Vietnamese women as long as they treated her nice. Some of the rocket attacks were on Camp Books (FLC) . You got to do what you got to do ! What amazed me was by brakefast time at 0530 the marines had already set up a field mess trailer out side the mess hall and were serving breakfast. Total Area Sprayed (sq. The doctor and nurse came out of the clinic. Browse millions of high-quality stock photos, illustrations, and videos. I can find no official reports on that rocket attack and have to assume nobody bothered to make a report because the rounds hit in the swamp between the main body of Camp Books and the Force Logistics Command section. A half inch pipe After our three big generators and fuel tank were up and running that area became a target for the VC. History and documents on bases at DaNang - Warboats.org MAY 10, 1967 FOR COLLEGES State-Related Status Unique By WILLIAM E. DEIBLER HARRISBURG (AP) How would yo Rank Among Most Heavily Sprayed Provinces in Vietnam. Great Discounts & More! I was going to have to hit the ground running if I intended to stay with this team. New customers can download this image at no cost with a risk-free trial. The new wood frame building that I did was behind the camera. Seems like every time I was working there at least one or two little kids would go out of there dead! [1][3]:2, In August 1967, the headquarters of NSA Danang was moved from downtown Danang to Camp Tien Sha. Nang officers billeting ! The U.S. Navy established the MST-1 detachment to train Vietnamese crews and maintain PTFs in February 1964. It is a code of conduct course as much as it teaches the practical issues of survival. Whenever there were 122 rocket attacks there would be casualties and being as how I was a first responder and did the damage clean up and repair and being as how medivaced Marines did not need their uniforms any more I would just help myself to what ever would fit me. "My wartime experiences have changed me. I don't laugh as much or the UKC Forums - China Beach, Vietnam - United Kennel Club I was new in country and still in John Wayne mode. The Seabees in Da Nang U.S. Navy Seabee Museum We took good care of Judy and she ate very well, We would get stake and chicken from the mess hall and She also loved to drink beer. There are 186 crew members registered for the Naval Support Activity Danang. China Beach Vietnam - China Beach in Da Nang - China - Destination 360 They were pissed off at him because they were sent out there that night when they had already done a day patrol, and they wanted to scare the crap out of him. those Nastie's were fun boats! Pilot, youre the one flying the plane. I was then sent to Camp Carter while we were opening up an old ROK base that was being used by Philco Ford to teach Vietnamese Sailors how to maintain diesel motors that were used in the river boats. Do you have CAMP TIENSHA, DANANG,VIETNAM Reunion information you'd like to share. never even gave a thought that a I was later assigned to the Monkey Mountain Patrol. Surprise, I think that was normal precaution . We were working with basic hand tools, cutting everything with one cross cut handsaw. On May 13,1968 we took 6 122mm rocket rounds as explained in my May 15,1968 leter. to Danang. [1] In November 1965 500 men moved into the old French Army camp, Camp Tien Sha at the foot of Monkey Mountain. Had fun there, especially since I had to wear civilian clothes. Another source for jungle fatigues was up at Camp Reasoner. side was a barge with a sign. I was to hear FNG If one of the other bases in our AO got hit by mortars or rockets then our siren went off and we were on red alert which meant we had to role out with weapons, helmets,and flack jackets and man our posts. Detachment Nha Trang - 1965 - 1971. Detachment Chu Lai - 1964 - 1971. Well sure I heard about it and even saw them down at 1st MPs. The next work order I got for there I gave it to Beerworth and told him I would not work there any more! Finally, the harsh northeast monsoon made cargo operations at Danang and throughout I Corps hazardous and difficult during the winter months.[1]. At first it was because every thing was so knew and exciting. I needed to know which of the sound meant danger! What the F is wrong with her? We were among the first units to arrive after ti was secured by Armor and Artillery. basis You'll see scenes filmed along the roads between Da Nang and Camp Tien Sha -- driving through villages and countryside, past ships in the harbor, port activity, etc. We were here, Then there were the incoming Rockets, we had three big generators and fuel tank and we were a bulls eye. With over 81,000 members, VVA provides a community of fellowship with people who share common experiences, needs and hopes for the future. There was an indoor movie theater, snack bar, hobby shop, NCO club and EM club, basket ball courts and tennis courts. "enlisted". I served there and just would like to hear from some of the guys that was there. half, aside from the times that I Khoi Tran and Hong Th Hin faved this 3,723 views 2 faves 0 comments Taken on March 17, 2017 Some rights reserved Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 ED These positive relations were largely a reflection of the fact that black and white soldiers in combat were heavily dependent on one another. I went back to my cubicle crawled into bed, ending my For African Americans soldiers serving in the armed forces during the Vietnam War the domestic scene loomed large. "Ya, there has been a sniper shooting at the fence crew every morning for the past week. Then he could pick my guys up and pick up materials to build my hooch. The beach is more than twenty miles long, and in the last two decades, numerous China Beach hotels as well as dining and shopping venues have sprung up along it. [1] In November 1965 500 men moved into the old French Army camp, Camp Tien Sha at the foot of Monkey Mountain. march in columns of two over to that building. The Doc narrated as he worked, what he was doing, what he was going to do, when I should be prepared for the farmer to go ballistic! from Danang, Republic of Vietnam. configuration it would hold about 10 people. Well I had 11 months to go and it was going to be a very long 11 months ! John arrived here on November 21, 1968 and left December 22, 1969, thirteen months later. Her husband was an ARVN soldier who had been killed. 351 Days in Da Nang by Ray Norton - Vietnam Veterans of America DaNang aerial photograph It was reported in an Email that National Geographic Magazine somewhere between Jan. 1967 and June 1968 had an aerial photograph of DaNang with enough detail to get the CIA uptight. The Doc started by cutting the legs off. There was the real possibility of hitting a mine or being ambushed by the VC (it happened more often then I would like to think about) . The Marines on the perimeter were yelling at them to run parallel to the wire. The Post office was about 75 yards from my hootch. It was really to late to save the helicopter but at least nobody was killed or hurt! Because of Da Nang's strategic location on rail, air, and highway routes, development of its . Ya, we continued our work and started building my hooch. They were waiting for electricity and to get more beds from Catholic Charity . I just haven't had time for any more. Camp Tien Sha is a former United States Navy base located in Danang, Vietnam. such a small vehicle. Download this Camp Tien Sha photo now. Some times a lot of shit happened . Go through their front gate then out their back gate to the causeway. I took my time cooling myself off in that shower then went Every morning I was stripping floors and then in the afternoon waxing and buffing and cleaning the showers, normal Navy grunt work. airlines circling the DaNang airbase over the Country of South Vietnam. Older Vietnam veteran who served in the US Navy at Camp Tien Sha, Da Nang, 1968-1969. Then we saw a little dot far up Elephant Valley. Naval Communication Facility. course. couple of Corvairs (ok, stop laughing!) What that means is we stood a four hour night watch every other night. Charles R. Smith . She did not cry but there were big tears running down her checks and every once in a while she would let out a loud shuddering sigh! Gave me the creeps then and still does now when I think about it! Click Below to watch some clips from "Tien Sha & Da Nang 1969" -- Please note that because of the transfer process this You Tube video is of a lesser quality than the actual DVD. thought about was the airbase in Danang was under attack, May 27 was my birthday. Stephen was a veteran of the United States Navy, serving state side and in Vietnam at Camp Tien Sha, Danang. I was shocked when he told me she was only 15 years old! 2023 iStockphoto LP. On Monday morning Bet returned the snorkeling gear to Special Service and noticed that they had two sets of double 70 scuba tanks with Mark-2 regulators. In my first week at Camp Books after we were finished building the office, shop we installed a short wave radio which was used for communication with the Navy. So just go back to work and keep moving so he doesn't have a stationary target and you should be OK!" Danang had become the largest fuel complex in South Vietnam capable of holding over 500,000 barrels. quarters. Honorably Discharged as a QM2(SS) in 1971ish. Back at the hootch the Seabees got in a major debate about where to put me. Drawing the fresh meat so what do I know about it. shower heads came out from the side The rest of my tour I did what every good Seabee team would do, I stole them ! bgmarshall@aol.com. Work started at 0700 hr and we got off at 1700 hr. (a hooch is a 16 by 32 ft wood framed plywood building with 5 foot high walls and a tin roof.) It was good for our working relation ship to do them favors so that I could count on them to perform for me when I really needed them. Historian, US Navy Seabee Museum. Vietnam, Museum, Photos, Hanoi Hilton - 351days-in-da-nang line. Fishing Boats of Da Nang in When the Doc was finished he told me I could remove the stick. Vietnam War Home Movies Tien Sha & Da Nang 1969 ammo dump - YouTube This building was about 24 ft wide and 200 feet long and was a two story building. [3]:33, In mid-October 1968 the Deep Water Pier complex (160712N 1081250E / 16.12N 108.214E / 16.12; 108.214) on the Tien Sha peninsula was completed, beginning operations in September 1968. to pull a copy and edit in the I didn't know it then but that was my last good meal for a long time! We also had a land line (telephone) installed for communication with the Marines. Besides the concrete hospital was a large concrete and stone ward building which had not even been started in early June. Mark Harms reporting for duty! It was just after 1700 so I was good. the correctly identified enlisted whatever you say Mr. An electrician CN (E-3). There was no time off just the same 12 hr work shift. Military personnel learn some of the basics in other training, but this is the course for the big boys. Our mess hall, about 70 yards from my hootch took a direct hit on the serving line and kitchen area. You'll see the plumes of smoke, fireballs and falling debris from the explosion of the DaNang ammo dump on April 27, 1969 -- and close ups of some of the damage to buildings and barracks. CONTACT: VETERANS CENTER OF NORTH TEXAS. When I started working on this clinic project I was full of good feelings as to how we were helping these poor Vietnamese people. All in the name of saving them from Communism. They did hit the fuel bladders at truck company several time so I knew there would be a nice warm fire if our fuel tank got hit. As usual US style plumbing, the submariines (SS) designated. On 30 June 1970 NSA Danang was deactivated and on 1 July new Army-Marine service support agreements went into effect. There was a bunker there. Sometimes we could be called out 2 or 3 times in a night. It must have been about 1100 hr. Coate gave me two sets of shorts and short sleeve shirts. the late 60's and early 70's. We were not part of the Marine Civil Affair but worked independent of them. Download this Camp Tien Sha photo now. Some morning I would be more tired when I woke up than when I went to bed. Now I know where Barbee is but where is Babyson? The nurses were all Vietnamese and were employed there so I would often see the same nurses. That episode followed rioting along China Beach by black . right out of there. I yelled "incoming" and took off running to the nearest watch post which was 150 yards away. and went on large canvas covering over the rear area that protected bench When we arrived at Red Beach the Seabee team shop was a mad house. Danang was handling more tonnage than the port of Baltimore at the time. Just as I was putting on the spring door closer a ARVN military police jeep pulled up in front (they were halling ass through the loose sand) Two White mice jumped out, went to the back of the jeep and carried an old farmer from the jeep into the clinic. That was the LTs first rocket attack and he didn't react fast enough. The Brief. maintenance, and generally taking We visited Chu Laiu, Hue, and our She smelled horrible! My Vietnamese works didn't want to hang around waiting for the truck to take them back to the shop. time does that. This is the first Poem that I wrote in Vietnam and is about the two marines killed in the skivvy house. I was in country from June 1969 to June 1970. The carpenter flat bed truck. Yes that's puppy and our new steel worker (Calhoun). The fire was caused by a Air or artillery white phosphorus flare ( WP). Camp Horn is a former United States Marine Corps and United States Army base located in Danang, Vietnam. In another incident, a black guard was shot to death when a black sailor went on a wild shooting spree at Camp Tien Sha near Danang. Then he pulled all that up to expose the bone where he wanted to cut the bone.The nurse held all the skin and muscle up while the Doc cut off the bones. the duty jeep normally delivered the crew to the base in the Nice history lesson for me. MST1 and thought it would be a good time to go back and see Every tree trunk was painted white, every rock was neatly lined up along the I lay there waiting for the out posts to return fire, nothing happened! . )The Doc gave me a large stick like a tongue depressor ,except bigger. Tour: August 2, 1969 through July 17, 1970. (my home base). Well we U S Naval Support Activity Danang Vietnam 1969 Yearbook - Worthpoint This was the closest skivvy house to Camp Books , a very short walk. He was really short, only six more days and a wake up and he would be out of Vietnam, back to the world and his girl friend Judy. His name was Coate and he was a 3rd class yeoman. If you served in Camp Tien Sha, Headquarters, Join TWS for free to reconnect with service friends. If they were caught they were punished by court marshal and were busted one pay grade. when I was there. k. cors.archive.org Detachment Phu Bai - 1965 -1970. But when shit happens to you and you are the victim, everything changed! I am on the far left. I donated money several times while at Camp Books. with her work. That's how we got our beds, enough for everyone. I joined the Navy Reserve and went to Viet Nam anyway. It was common for the Marines to sneak off base at night for a couple hours in the Village. morning. Left Phung a Vietnamese carpenter and formerly a French foreign legion Major. For that action, we were awarded the Naval Unit Commendation, the highest Naval or Marine award issued without action by the President. Alan on base Cn Th Base Camp. LCU-1498, then the chart office at the White Elephant. The Navy Doc cleared off the big desk and the MPs deposited the farmer onto the desk. limits and no one ever said a word to me about these activities. I heard the truth the next day at the mess hall. As tired as I was I never got much sleep. I think the thing that Late in the day we had built them a nice hootch and had them moved in. was directly below the building I was never in harms way. After the bones were cut the Doc tied off all the bleeders and removed the hemostats . standing duty after working hours you were pretty much alone. to my new cubicle and dressed in my slightly used green utility working Sandoval. I have never found any but I still have hope. They made runs north to Cua Viet at the mouth of the river (80 miles north of DaNang and 6 miles south of the Demilitarized Zone) and then upriver eight miles to Dong Ha to haul cannon ammunition to the marines. Later after they landed it became obvious that they were throwing out the ammo boxes so they wouldn't explode when they landed. Marine damage reports were never very accurate and it is hard for me to remember what was damage when. What the hell is that? [1], During 1965 the logistic operation at Danang suffered from lack of suitable or sufficient harbor craft, cargo handling equipment, and port personnel. Familiar Places - NSA/NSF DaNang Veterans Association My Vietnam war was a very small place ] [ Base Drawing Legend ]. I would sit at the desk and drink coffee, write letters or poetry. We took 2 122mm rockets about where the crates are. That sure screwed with our sleep! I got my NAUI Scuba diving cerification in July 1966. Style attributes. I slowly walked around the trailer checking them out. Catecka Base Camp. Do the job, get it done right and then sign off the work order and move on to the next one. Right. I dont know a damn thing so I know NOTHING of a chapel I made a series of videos about the exhibit before it was closed. Changes: A History of Naval Support Activity/Facility DaNang, 1970 The only answer I could give them that they would except was. sat idle. On Tuesday May 14 I finished my hooch and settled into the corner right inside the door. It was the Spring 1967 and I had a choice to make, get drafted into the Army and go to Viet Nam or join the Navy Reserve. Welcome! My big problem was how to build those damn concrete forms without using wood stakes. called to general quarters was in Ch Linh Camp. I am searching for anyone who may recall serving with me in the Seabees at Camp Tien Sha, Da Nang between 1969-1971. I hated that phone, radio, air conditioning and black coffee! The Magazine was found So after the 2400 check in I would jump in the truck with M-16 and ammo. I believe that on May 21 we had hits to the sick bay which was a big rebuild job. ACTOV addition Admiral Army assets assistance attack August base Beach beds began boats Bridge buildings Camp Tien Sha cargo Center changes Class closed combat Commander Communications. My day was done!! After a couple rocket and mortar attacks my brain never went completely to sleep. The weekend after the amputation I went to build a small operating room and install a examination light. He was driving a 1 1/2 ton flat bed stake truck and was making the rounds to pick up supplies. Mostly I would just build and they would watch and fallow what I did. I guess that is why there were a lot of E-2 in the Marines. Soon there were Marines all over the place. I remember one time showering in It was a long miserable cold 12 hour night. I started building my hooch on Wednesday May 8th at just before noon. T are sections in the book about Camp Tien Sha, Cua Viet, Dong Ha, Tan My, Hue, Phu Bai, Chu Lai, and Sa Huynh. Manage all your favorite fandoms in one place! On the far end of the bridge right Unrecorded ca. 1967 map of Da Nang, Vietnam, annotated by hand by an sucked and the barber dissed me for building. Category:Military bases of the Vietnam War - Fandom She was wearing light blue pajamas with little lambs printed on it. the bus to Camp Tien Sha (the one with chicken wiure on the windows) The second floor office was just being framed up . He was wearing his best short timers uniform. This was a real live human! Pett George my ex UDT instructor allowed me to go through the class early being as how my older brother Jay and my Dad were going through the class too. Then I was out the door, I passed LT Branch halfway down the stairs and was waiting for him in the bunker! The after noon of May 14, I had a work order to make escape doors out of the back of FLC (Force Logistics Command) administration building. The VC had taken their 782 gear (combat gear, weapons and ammo) and bugged out. On the left I started building the 3 strong backs at 7 Motors on Monday morning June 3rd. Some where along the line the nurse had done an IV drip. I was not prepared and he totally over powered me! Electrician CN (E-3) Pat Brown, Builder CN (E-3) Craig Taylor, Builder 3Rd Class Calabresi. Charlie 2. iwas in the 1097th med boat co. dongtam,vietnam 1968 towed 3rd 34th artery barges up down the canels moble riverine force 9th inf divion, caption wild was incharge 15 rounds hit us with 3 KIA and 15 wounded. The village it refers to was just north of Camp Books. It's the 4th largest city in Vietnam. Yes that's me smiling up from the 122mm rocket crater. Some time that day the Catholic Priest who was in charge of the clinic and also the Da Nang orphanage showed up . "I'm at camp Tien Sha at Da Nang now." - Letters from Vietnam Everyone had his turf marked out and nobody was willing to give any for me. Driving around on the perimeter of the base checking for burned out security lights could also be very hazardous . While I was building the door the Doc and nurse moved in medical supplies to the shelf unit. There was a Marine listening ambush set up outside the perimeter in that area. I am sure had I not done that , the Chief, when he came down to the hootch, would have solved the problem by sending me back to China Beach. I got a letter from Annette Burrell ( Johns younger sister) sometime in May. Why are you here in Vietnam ? Da Nang Air Base (1957-1975) was a Republic of Vietnam Air Force (VNAF) facility. Chapel? My barracks was an old French barracks at Camp Tien Sha near Da Nang. He didn't mince words. " seating along the sides of the rear area. They had to be manned 24 hours a day. During our night watch I would lock the office door ,lay my M-16, (locked and loaded) on the desk pointing at the door. They cut a hole through their new fence and cleared a path threw the tangle foot and mines wide enough for a 4 wheel drive mule. Made a very good impression on me, I didn't even consider it my whole time in Vietnam ! Keep exploring. I was face down on the road under the edge of the truck with my foot stuck under the clutch peddle. VIETNAM WAR 1968-1969 by Richard Calmes - PBase from two times. Didn't get any meals so after we were finished we ate sandwiches with the mid watch Marines at the mess hall. Craig Tailor is on the left and on the right is Carl Rice who came on board about the same time as the new Chief. this pic is. boat part would be housed in supply Didnt take long to figure out that everyone could see that you were a FNG. This article incorporatespublic domain material from websites or documents of the Naval History and Heritage Command. Even then every time the Doc cut through a nerve that farmer would try to fly through the roof! On the night of February 23, 1969, we held off an attack on the Da Nang Air Base by a large VC force. Well Beerworth didn't show up until 1845 and he dragged me off to the mess hall that would close a 1900 hr. Us transit guys were on two section duty (port and starboard was the Navy term for that). a small cargo plane in the middle of the night, all I New year found Very often our flares would land in Hoa Kahn or Dog Patch burning down many Vietnamese huts providing more damaged children for the clinic. They were all in alignment with our generators. The other time was that day in boot Then of course there was the dreaded incoming 122mm and 140mm incoming rocket. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. The kid had a big yellow Tonka dump truck and would sit for hours in the sand playing with that truck. distributed to ships coming in. Over time that changed, I didn't want to know any newbies! vehicle I took full advantage of it!