The notion that tree planting is an elixir for what ails the earth is as popular with polluters as it is with nations, a fact that spawned the carbon offset industry. Polluters hire third partiesoften unseen, uninterviewed, and in other countriesto plant any kind of trees, anywhere. While we could form a non-profit and work to spread awareness over the course of several decades, we simply dont have that much time. In a presentation to creditors publicly released on Thursday, the auditors leading FTX through bankruptcy said they had identified just $2.8 billion . lol Cheers and God bless! TOKYO (AP) The Tokyo Olympic bid-rigging scandal widened Tuesday with Japanese advertising giant Dentsu and five other companies charged by Tokyo district prosecutors. Restoring coastal mangroves is not simple. Native plant communities cant survive in these plantations because eucs kill competition with their own herbicide, creating what botanists call eucalyptus desolation. Eucs evolved with fire and prosper from it. While their company is great, their employee relations are not. The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user. But a growing number of scientists are warning that these massive projects can wreck natural ecosystems, dry up water supplies, damage agriculture, and push people off their land. Living near them is like living beside a gasoline refinery staffed by chain smokers. There are people at odds with science and believe that such conservation and restoration efforts are not necessary. Upcoming Events. So next I searched up all of their partners and lo and behold, they are listed clearly as sponsors. BBC News. If you have fallen for a scam, you can post your experience here to warn others. When the bond issue was being presented to voters 15 years ago . It turns out there is lots of vegetation in the Western Sahara: an estimated 1.8 billion trees and shrubs. The trees that we are planting are indigenous and we as a community are benefiting in one way or another to conserve our ecosystem and maintain the areas where our water is coming from, she says. -0.0190 -0.2747%. Consider Plant for the Planet, the organization behind theTrillion Tree Campaign. AI counts 1.8 billion trees in Sahara Desert - Futurity Should We Eat Animal Lungs? The very private life story of love is revealed as a romance for one person while as a scandal for another. Employee Story. Well, almost. With Michael Simon Johnson. Founders Mike Powell and Jon Chambers were inspired by Eden's work and quickly learned that if nothing is done to stop deforestation and restore the planet's forests, climate change . After finding all of this information on public government websites, it seems that 8 Billion Trees is legit and not a scam. Earths forests are being devastated and no one is stepping in to make a powerful difference that can actually reverse the damage being done so that global forest cover begins to grow each year in destroyed areas.. In Madagascar, TreeSisters is helping the Eden Reforestation Projects plant lost mangrove trees along the coast. The company also seems to have a very small digital footprint, and media coverage so it's hard to find information about them. The countrys current forest cover is a meagre 7% at best; Kenyas constitution commits to increasing it to 10%. It had been blighted by eucalyptus desolation when Id seen it. You say youre waiting for a response no doubt you are still waiting. BBC Panorama 16/8/2022 - The Billion Pound Savings Scandal Nima's story: overcoming Nepal's lockdown. That private land is just full of trees.. It read in part: Biodiversity, forests, grasslands and the massive deltaic region that this river nurtures would be devastated. Planting Around the Globe to Restore Our Earth. As a charity, we would be severely limited in our ability to market and spread the word. Shortly thereafter, the University of California and the state Department of Forestry distributed free eucs for everyone to plant. An other concern for me is that there are hardly any reviews Thank you. Thanks for the feedback Margaret. It takes hard work to learn and implement the skills. In 2014, their new charity funded its first 12,000 trees by encouraging western women to make small monthly donations to reforestation projects in the tropics. [1] It seeks to repopulate the world's trees and combat climate change as a nature-based solution. 8 Billion Trees: Carbon Offset Projects & Ecological Footprint Calculators On the subject of tree planting and survival of forests. I never heard of 8 billion trees and I thinks is a great project. So if they can change up their approach to their marketing videos, I think they will do a much better job of actually spreading awareness on the deforestation crisis instead of making people like myself suspicious when we never would have been suspicious in the first place. Illustrating the extent of our current tree-planting craze is the recent marketing of biodegradable coffee cups impregnated with tree seeds. The Veterans Fighting to Legalize Psychedelics According to their website, 8 Billion Trees has managed to plant over 900,000 trees in 19 different countries and funded the conservation of over 166,000 acres of existing forest. The reason why they are focusing their efforts on planting and reserving trees is that it is one of the most environmentally beneficial things to do. You commit to planting trees (for me it was Yosemite) and boom your housing would be taken care of. Besides being an engineer, I'm an online marketer. I saw 8 Billion Trees Facebook add about their reforestation project and about the condition of your rain forests. Similarly, in September Ireland committed to planting 440 million trees as part of its Climate Action Plan. US Corporations' September 30th fiscal payment deadline Sep 30, 2023 USA Each year around that time, as the payment deadline approaches, we see all sorts of maneuvers. Now the same places are littered with trees. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Slate is published by The Slate Group, a Graham Holdings Company. Did you contact any of the organizations listed ? Together we can plant millions of trees! So I would say 8 Billion Trees is not a scam. Politicians, business leaders, YouTubers and celebrities are calling for the planting of millions, billions or even trillions of trees to slow climate change. High-profile programs aimed at planting billions of trees are being launched worldwide. More and more companies are going carbon neutral in 2021. 8 Billion Trees was founded in late 2018 with an ambitious mission: plant 8 billion trees around the globe before 2021 when the Earth's population reaches eight billion people.. Women in Kenya plant trees as part of an International Tree Foundation reforestation project. This is because a majority of their funds (legally) must go directly to the cause at hand, which in our case is planting trees. Could it be because news is almost always grim, focusing on 340-Pound Penguins Once Roamed the Earth. Thanks for the heads up Don! What's even sadder is that we have managed to drive thousands of animal and plant species into extinction. High-speed rail project still lacks needed financing | Guest On top of encouraging direct donations to these groups, 8 Billion Trees donates thousands each month in company contributions. Arizona's Family | Phoenix News - azfamily.com First, I just have to say thank you for TAKING ACTION. As Dubois puts it: Its tangible, its simple, its life-giving., This article is part of a series on possible solutions to some of the worlds most stubborn problems. To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. I'm creating this review partly for personal reasons. Produced by Nina Feldman and Eric Krupke. 8BT says the resorts or hotels are "covering taxes", which aren't even owed if the room isn't sold. 4,946 talking about this. All rights reserved. But everywhere else, these trees are aliens. I know there are a lot of scams disguised as charity operations. This sharp depletion is resulting in drinking water scarcity and difficulty farming. Charity Navigator - Rating for Trees for the Future Despite what 8 billion trees says, they're usually connected to buying a timeshare, joining a vacation club, or entering into some other sort of contract. When J. NMC Health Plc uncovered $2.7 billion of debt hidden from its board that was used for unknown purposes, tipping the troubled Middle Eastern hospital operator into a full-blown accounting scandal. The poster seems to have deleted the original post but judging from the thread his analysis was that the organization isnt legit. BBC Panorama 16/8/2022 - The Billion Pound Savings Scandal#bbcpanorama I hope you found this 8 Billion Trees review useful and it answered your questions. The other, larger problem is the ecological havoc tree planters can wreak if they are not careful. China Arrests Hundreds in Nation's Biggest-Ever Bank Fraud Probe 2023. You Are Here: phrases with the word lane youth movements 2020 8 billion trees scandal. It reinvests donations into its mission of improving the environment and enhancing the health of animals. Our climate plus program changes that. I actually contacted them about some of the concerns I had and I did receive a reply that they will discuss my ideas and concerns. Romance or scandal (2) Looks like a scam to be. Now it is supporting reforestation led by local women. Planting any trees anywhere sends chills down my spine. might and innovations whose time might have come. According to Anastacia Njoki, a member of a tree-planting group close to Mount Kenya, she and her fellow agro-foresters share experiences, as well as sing together. You see, as the name suggests, 8 Billion Trees has a very ambitious goal of planting 8 Billiob Trees. Those who do commit are apt to plant monocultures, which are nearly worthless to wildlife and vulnerable to disease, insects, and wind. They are the people who look for firewood, they are the people who cook so they also look for water. Plenty of People Do! Tree planting 'has mind-blowing potential' to tackle climate crisis By Reality Check team. They rebuked the authors for suggesting grasslands and savannas as potential sites for restoration using trees and for overestimating by a factor of 5 potential for new trees to capture carbon.. Technology such as tree-planting by drone is often hailed as a game changer, but it can be hit-and-miss. All rights reserved. Post your questions here and have them answered by people who are knowledgeable about all types of scams. A similar emphasis on reforestation for local people is driving the restoration of deforested Mount Kenya. When we asked them about their decision to do this, they gave us a candid response: We deliberated for weeks on whether to form as a charity or a social enterprise that runs on profit. You changed your mind cause you watched a video ? That is the question I then worked to figure out. If you want to learn more,read my full story. They send you this "free vacation" thing that has an F on BBB and is called a scam on Tripadvisor. Everybody thinks that smarter technology is going to save us, says Dubois. I also checked deeper into one of their top planting partners Eden Reforestation and found that they are listed as a Million Tree Partner on the home page. When theyre harvested, sequestered carbon will spew back into the atmosphere. Today TreeSisters is planting 2.2m trees (average cost: 33p a tree) each year across Madagascar, India, Kenya, Nepal, Brazil and Cameroon. Thanks for the tip! Why Is 8 Billion Trees Not a Charity? Why would an upscale resort or hotel be dumping rooms that can be sold, and instead issuing "free" coupons that can be used or booked at any time in the future ? Around the world, those whose work revolves around trees - whether as loggers or paper-makers, fruit growers or carpenters - would suddenly be jobless, devastating the global economy. We have to make it as natural to give back to nature as it is to take nature for granted, Dubois says, musing on the need to shift from a consumer species to a restorer species. Is 8 Billion Trees A Scam Or A Legit Company? [2020 Review] India itself has pledged to plant 13m hectares of forest by 2020, Latin America is aiming at 20m hectares and African countries 100m hectares by 2030. In my honest opinion WWF is one of the best organizations to support as they are doing a lot for the environment, reservation of species, habitats etc. Charities are supported by us financially and receive even more in direct donations. I also found that they support and fund a wildlife center alongside the Nature of Tocantins Institute president Sebastio Albuquerque. On the last link above I was able to review a public document with Jonathan Chambers signature and name alongside the research institutes president. But such slapdash planting is an American tradition. The US Corporate government seeks to roll over its payments past the deadline. of course, millions of followers, subscribers, and likes are not the first thing happening. Executives or management . Government of Para Official State Press Website, IDEFLOR-Bio Research Institute Partner Page. By using this site you consent to our use of cookies. Many of their claims check out but it still seems odd its hard to find information about them in any major media for example. One verifiable source (State Press Website for Par) claims they planted 20,000 seedlings in one day in a location in the Amazon. I cant find this anywhere online so I thought I would do it myself. Trees are planted as we restore habitats and save the environment. Not sure what else can be done. Google Earth reveals it is decidedly patchy. Mike and Jon formed a social enterprise to inspire other companies to follow suit. Columbia University permanently drops SAT and ACT scores for admission I know exactly how enticing a sales letter can be even if the product is nothing to write home about. Forests can stop runaway global heating, encourage rainfall, guarantee clean water, reduce air pollution, and provide livelihoods for local people and reserves for rare wildlife. Out of sheer curiosity I went through with it. I eat mainly plant-based diet and avoid buying unnecessary stuff. Were seeing a change in how people feel about the forest. Planting trees can be beneficial, especially in countries where predatory logging and other land abuse has destroyed soil stability and deprived people of shade, clean water, fish, and fruit. It also had a clear photo of what looks to be Jon Chambers planting a tree with the Ideflor-bio President Karla Bengston. I did want to let you know thoughbased on the info you gave when you joined, it looks like you live nearby (my city) in (my country).