A power steering system was reportedly installed by the original owner, while updates by the seller are said to include resealing of the steering gear, re-installation of the power steering equipment, replacement of the center steering link and hoses and shock absorbers as well as performing an alignment. The carpet is typically faded but the dash-pad and instrument panel seems fine. Kia Motors is one of the leading automakers globally with a brand value of USD 7 billion. this is a 15,000$ car tops if it is what it is and all there. Sign up for our free daily email and youll never miss another find: BF Auction: 1961 Volkswagen Samba Deluxe 23-Window, Pristine 1975 Cadillac Eldorado with 40,000 Genuine Miles. The W-31 was filled with day-two parts, such as a vintage MSD box, an ACCEL Super Coil, headers, a high-stall converter, red airbags in the springs, a Sun Tach, and gauge pod. The TH350 transmission was very special on this cars and is known as a JO coded unit. Oldsmobile people would actually go just to look for me. While very cool, and desirable, the seller is just a little proud on this one. Minore's expertise hits its sweet spot with the 1968-1972 Oldsmobiles, but he's boning up on earlier and later models as well. 1970 Oldsmobile Ratings, Pricing, Reviews and Awards | J.D. Power The car has obviously had paint work, the stripes are incorrect, the passenger rocker, rear wheel lips front fender rust really make you think this is a 149k mile car. It was pointed out that the largest market for Oldsmobiles was the population whose parents had in fact owned Oldsmobiles. Dimensions included a 112.0 inch wheelbase, 203.2 inch overall length, 69.5 inch width and a 54.1 inch height. Many would say that the brand picked up an image of being old and stuffy. Description from seller. Guide to buying a 1968-1972 Olds Cutlass & 442 - Second Chance Garage I think for under 10k worth of work you could have a really nice ride that would be a blast to drive and just be seen in!! Additional items accompanying the car include a Protect-O-Plate, owners manuals, and a vehicle history summary from the reported original owner, photos of which are provided in the gallery. Do you want to have hands like this when you get to be my age? I agree. What makes the W-31 the car it is, is Oldsmobile 325 HP, 350 CI, V8 engine. I wonder if it still has the original carb and distributor are still in place? In 1970, Oldsmobile Division came out with an aluminum W-31 intake similar to the one used on the W-30s and made by the same foundry. Based on whats photographically revealed, the interior is certainly salvageable and probably not at great expense or effort. The youth market was red hot. (faster than 130). And here for your review, is just such an example from 1970. These cars are very rare and attract owners with erudite knowledge of Oldsmobile muscle. I wanted to see how things were put together. LOL Seriously, though, having driven my girlfriends 2003 loaded Camry all over the country I can say without a doubt they routinely get you from point A to B without issue. This is the VIN stamp on a W-30 engine block. Steve's 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass retains it's stock W31 engine, the period-correct block, with #6 W-31 large valve heads, and a special W-31 only harmonic balancer. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. As a longtime collector, though, Jimmy had a spare "255" carburetor. Nope. 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass for Sale on ClassicCars.com The BMW S85 is a naturally aspirated V10 petrol engine which replaced the BMW S62 V8 engine in the M5 model and was produced from 20052010. document.getElementById("ak_js_1").setAttribute("value",(new Date()).getTime()); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Believe it or not, the. "Hardware store hardware," we call it. By 1970, the W-31's final production year, the body styles included either a Cutlass S (Holiday or Sports Coupe) or the F-85 Sports Coupe. You're the high bidder. Stephen took his father's advice, and says now, "Drafting has provided me with a good living and a solid foundation to move ahead, get married, raise a family, and follow other pursuits." Price: The 2022 Porsche Cayenne has a starting price of $69,000. In 1970, Oldsmobile Division stamped out only one style of fender. Welcome to Drivin' It Home, please email us if you have any questions. There were 165 3rd Gen sold in the last 5 years. Keep me in the conversation via email. The engine balancer is big and as rare as hen's teeth. production date code (month/day), and a suffix code which identifies the engine. These models were equipped with W-29 442 equipment. "I started looking at things like the Julian date codes on cowl tags, VIN numbers, broadcast sheets, and those kinds of things. California Notice at Collection While W-31 is down on engine displacement, the power is no different than a 68 Oldsmobile 442 with an automatic transmission so whether this serves as a high insurance premium salve or not, it is hard to say. The W-31 for the 68 and 69 year had a cast iron intake and #5 Heads. And further inspection may reveal other things to use when dickering the price down. In J.D. While repairs tend to be more severe than average, the number of those issues is low, so, The extra power of the Turbo S can see it get from, The annual maintenance cost of a 2011 Porsche Panamera is. Year 1970 Category All Body Styles 1970 442 1970 98 1970 Cutlass 1970 Cutlass 'S' 1970 Cutlass Supreme 1970 Delta 88 1970 Delta 88 Royale 1970 F-85 1970 Rallye 1970 Toronado 1970 Vista Cruiser Average new car price was $3,000. All contents 2023 The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer, Privacy Notice Oldsmobile Decoding Oldsmobile Engine Color Cutlass Production Numbers Mopar Decoding Mopar Engine Colors Mopar Fender Tag Decoding 4-Speed Transmission Decoding Engine Decoding Mopar VIN Decoding VIN 1964 & 1965 VIN 1966 & 1967 VIN 1968 & 1974 Cutlass Production Numbers Subscribe to our mailing list Minore was there to authenticate the car, which we recently featured in Rare Finds ("More Than Just a Car," Sept. '15). We dont have any photos of the drivers side of the car, whats hiding there? It was gold with back stripes and had a ram air hood. $98,999 Dealership CC-1670126 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme However, auto reviewers have given the Lamborghini Huracan an overall reliability rating of. These models were equipped with the Hurst/Olds package. The W-31 package began with Oldsmobile's version of the 350-cu.in. Right away I could determine that the block had been re-stamped. The Ramrod 350 Cutlass appeared in 1968 and became the W31 in 1969. Additional factory equipment includes a six-blade fan and a N10 dual-exhaust system. Stephen's company is called Cas-Am Performance. That too has its own part number. It's vital that you take a look at the firewall to see that it hasn't been fooled with. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Please enable JavaScript to engage in the discussion on this site. Why don't you do something like drafting for a living? It was in a pile of paperwork that included the original title, Protect-O-Plate, broadcast card, dealer invoice, and receipts from the 1970s when the motor was rebuilt. Factory Tach doesnt appear to be missing, where would it go? Then in 1971, GM mandated a decree that said there had to be crush zones built into the fenders, so from 1971-1972, all fenders have built-in crush zones. Power's 2020 ranking of the most reliable brands. 1970 oldsmobile w31 production numbers ford recall check by registration, Is the Lotus Evija a hypercar, What was the biggest engine Pontiac made, Did Saturn make good cars, How reliable is a 2022 Ford F150, Which Lamborghini is the most reliable, CAR 5W.COM. Interior and a lot of the body tells me that. Chevrolet, Pontiac and Buick had been doing this and Olds joined the movement. It's easy! Find new and used 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass classic cars for sale near you by classic car dealers and private sellers on Classics on Autotrader. The cars with A/C got the QS version of the 400 cid engine. Oldsmobile was a late developer into the muscle car scene and then moved swiftly to create an affordable mid-price intermediate muscle car. You never know what's going to turn up in the junkyard. Power 2019 Vehicle Dependability Study, or VDS. Put a powerful V-8 engine in a two door sport coupe and you have the makings of a classic American muscle car. Since muscle cars were all the rage, and power was doing that up, up and away thing, insurance underwriters were looking, ostensibly, to manage their liability. It also has a factory Aluminum W-350 intake, 1970 W-30 4-speed Camshaft (Steve opted to install this stock grind as it has .475 lift, 328 duration instead of the stock .474 308 . Minore: I go from the top to the bottom to the best of my knowledge working with the references that I have. Its a nightmare. As these cars became more popular, Stephen began to question things like verifying an Olds as a real 4-4-2. Reconnected! FOLLOW MARKET. The manufacturer estimates that about 200 Taycan cars cannot be built per day. In 1970, Oldsmobile Division came out with an aluminum W-31 intake similar to the one used on the W-30s and made by the same foundry. In time, he also began buying Oldsmobile parts cars and stripping them. The 1970 W-30 featured a 455 cubic inch 370 HP engine. Other notable components included a lightweight aluminum intake manifold, the W25 fiberglass ram-air hood, anti-spin differential with 3.42:1 gears (3.73:1 available), and heavy duty cooling. Compression Ratio was also up to 10.5 from 10.25. Required fields are marked *. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Bid for the chance to own a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Hardtop W-31 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. My photo file goes back over 20 years. Supreme Holiday Hardtop Supreme Convertible Supreme 4-Door Holiday Hardtop Handling 1970 Averages The 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass measures 69.50 inches in width, The 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass measures 203.20 inches in length, and has a wheelbase of 112.00 inches. Obviously, I look at the VIN on the block and transmission. Production was very low. I have the original carburetor numbers and pictures so I can compare the fonts. You've really got to know what you're looking at. Celebrating the 100,000th Bring a Trailer Auction! "I was shocked when I saw it," Jimmy McKeague said. With the Urus, the company's $200K SUV that debuted earlier this year, the wait time is, Unlike regular cars, the reliability of supercars is hard to rate due to their limited production. The W31 package actually existed in 1968 but it was known as the Ram-Rod and it was essentially the same car, it just used the Ram-Rod badge for identification as opposed to the W-31 moniker. Get Used 1970 Oldsmobile Values Select a 1970 Oldsmobile Model Select a vehicle year and model below to get a valuation. I started buying cars in 1980 and through the years they almost all had at least 70k and yet somehow all these cars have half that 30-40 yrs later Engine stamping 30M304131 is pictured above. "At the time, I was about the only Oldsmobile swap meet vendor around. Junkyard Crawl: Magnante Unearths Rare 1970 Olds F85 Rallye 350 I helped a friend swap out the one in his 67 442 using a curb in a suburban neighborhood, serving as a ramp, for under-car access. 1970 f85 w31 the car has everything a w31 has except carb intake and harmonic balancer has edelbrock carb and intake on it now and its a automatic trans which was rare only 52 made and its correct for a w31 car has matching number block but has 71 heads on it car needs some . The average annual repair cost is $652 which means it has average ownership costs. Admittedly this is a rare car, its documentation and understated nature is an attractive draw, but Im not sure about that price reasonable or a bit outsized? That is the color most chosen by Camry buyers during its entire production run, rumor has it. A lot of people don't know that. Ive had a bunch of 442s, and had 1 W car, a 69 W30 convert 4 speed, but always wanted a 70 W-31. No, theyre not too common. W-31s have a lot of rare engine parts on them. This Cutlass S W-31 is now offered with a broadcast sheet, a Protect-O-Plate, owners manuals, an ownership summary, and a clean Colorado title in the sellers name. By I owned a 70 W-31 4-speed that was in much better condition than this car and sold it for about half of what the owner is asking for this car. "History really makes these cars become that much more interesting," Jimmy says. We would share knowledge about these cars with each other.". A 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass W-31 recently sold at auction for $90,000. Horsepower was reported at 325 at 5400rpm, even though the mill featured a new aluminum intake manifold. Performance & security by Cloudflare. I would knock several digits off the price just for this being a non-runner. Oldsmobile muscle car fanatics, you will want to take a very close look at this amazing Olds W-Machine! The Olds Cutlass accounted for 154,300 of them. A road less traveled. W-31 fender emblems. It was introduced as an option package for F-85 and Cutlass models sold in the United States beginning with the 1964 model year. (Article and photos copyright Auto Museum Online), Your email address will not be published. Research indicates that there were about 1,300 W-31s assembled in 1970 across all body styles. Just picked up a 65 dodge dart from the original owner, 32000 miles on it. Stephen spent some of his formative years "banging gears and laying rubber all around town" in his uncle Mark's 1969 Cutlass Supreme. They have the wrong markings on the bolt heads. We have 21 locations and have Sold 201, ranging from $6995 to $92000. Does not have the original carb. :) :) :). Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade . Your bid of $ is $ more that the current high bid of $. Jimmy was astounded to find an old color print that John's mother had taken at the dealership where she picked up the car brand new. All Locations Atlanta Charlotte Chicago Dallas Denver Detroit Fort Lauderdale Houston Indianapolis Kansas City. When it comes to the 4-4-2s, there are people out there who are changing things around, so you've really got to look at things like the tags and their location, the type of rivets used, those are all important clues. 1964-67 V8 models engine code is stamped on the right cylinder head. When doing a vehicle authentication, I make sure that the car has the right fenders on it. Obviously, that dramatically boosted the value of the car. It said "W-30" right on it, but the number listed at the top was not the VIN. Of the above production, these models were equipped with the W-30 4-bbl engine. SEE MARKET DETAILS . Total 1970 Oldsmobile production was 633,980 vehicles. As 19sixty5 suggests that this car looks more like 149K vs. 49K. ClarkeCutlass and 4-4-2: Muscle Portfolio 1964-1974 by R.M. See prices, photos, and find dealers near you. Good luck! Its good to see that the W25 air induction scoops/air-cleaner are still present and hopefully functioning. I have owned W30 442s and several Hurst Olds through the years, and most recently a 70 4 speed Rallye 350. "That's when I got really charged up over those cars. have had a number of new and used cars, I found the Mercury Milan to have great styling, handled beautifully, and never broke down. A special edition Hurst/Olds paced the Indy in 1972. Porsche and BMW are very different premium brands one is known for speed and agility and the other for luxury and engine power. Neat car. Love the car! It's clean work, and you have a natural talent for it.". if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'barnfinds_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_4',148,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-barnfinds_com-large-leaderboard-2-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'barnfinds_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_5',148,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-barnfinds_com-large-leaderboard-2-0_1'); .large-leaderboard-2-multi-148{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none !important;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:7px !important;margin-left:auto !important;margin-right:auto !important;margin-top:7px !important;max-width:100% !important;min-height:250px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;}. Andy's father was in the military in Rhode Island when this car arrived, and thus his mom picked it up new. As can be expected for a purpose-built machine, production numbers for the W-30 4-4-2s are quite low. Rare Fully Restored 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Rallye 350 Coupe :: 1 Year Production, Only 3,547 Produced, Powered by Numbers Matching 350ci 310hp V8 Engine, 700R4 Overdrive Transmission, Sebring Primo Classics International LLC It had ram air, sport mirrors, W-31 side stripes, and W-31 fender badges, but otherwise it looked just like a W-30. He is standing next to Stefano Bimbi's 1970 W-30 four-speed convertible, which was featured on the cover of the Nov. '15 issue. Menu Search (866) 383-1416; Inventory. Then there's the more obvious. Unless you can do every bit of the work on it yourself you will find yourself extremely deep underwater on this one trying to bring it back. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's easy to tell if one of these cars ever got into an accident. Fear of rejection undoubtedly explains Oldsmobile's 1969 ad campaign inviting America to "come see the Young-mobiles from Oldsmobile. Both 1969 Hurst Olds had the 455 cu. "This is the car that got me interested in the W-31 small-block cars," he said. 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Classic Cars for Sale near Mercer Island In 1968, a full 52 percent of America's population was under the age of 25. The Connecting Rods as also specific to W-31 engines. If you win the auction, your card will be charged for the service fee and you pay the seller directly for the vehicle. V-8 and its 4.057-inch cylinder bores. Cutlass Production Numbers : Drivin' It Home That's why, in 2013, he noticed a post on the classicoldsmobile.com forum from Andy Wenz of Cleveland. Suspension with the W-31 package upgraded the front and rear coil-spring suspension to the FE2 heavy duty components This included special springs and tubular hydraulic shocks. Auto manufactures, in some instances, started to offer smaller-engined/lower horsepower varieties as a counter move. The interior is a mix. The 1990s were not good times for Oldsmobile. Your IP: It is located in Cleveland, Ohio, and available here on craigslist for $22,500. Item specifics. It was both BMW's first and only production V10 engine, and the first petrol V10 engine to be available in a production sedan (saloon). That was the thinking behind Oldsmobile's 1970 W45 Rallye 350 package. Realizing that Jimmy was the right person to restore and save its history, Andy sold the W-31 to him. I would rather have a clean all together 200,000 mile car than one claiming such low mileage with everything worn out. Perhaps another slogan would have been more effective. Olds 442 Statistics - Muscle Car Facts 1970 oldsmobile w31 production numbers - fortranfaq.com By 1971 it was only available as a cover. It looked and sounded like it was a W-30, but it was a Cutlass W-31. That's part of how they advertised it.". The following year the car was changed to the W-31. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Greenlight Barrett-Jackson Auction Block 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass W31 Holiday Cpe at the best online prices at eBay! The flat ridge acted like a spear. Dabblers or flippers in the muscle car hobby would likely mistake the unique W-31 350 as a common GM V-8 fitted with a four-barrel. Always had a thing for W-31 cars. 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe W-31 4-speed wide ratio (man. 4) I would like to learn more about both the earlier and later year cars, as my ultimate objective is, for lack of a better term, to become the Kevin Marti or Galen Govier of Oldsmobile authenticators. Looks to be mostly complete and restorable but agree with the others about the mileage. The needle was buried to end peg. Who the hell wants that? The 1970 W31 350 shared its gold paint and number 6 cylinder heads with the Rallye 350's L74, but major W31 upgrades included an aluminum intake manifold, high-speed crank damper, lumpy. Antique and Classic Car VIN Numbers / What Do They Tell Us? For those hardcore Oldsmobile W-Series collectors, they will know what a truly special car this is, more specifically, the engine. The 1970 Oldsmobile W-Machines (W-30, W-31), all manufactured in Lansing, Michigan are considered to be the ultimate Oldsmobile Super Cars. Just 500 were made, all four-speeds. The two kept in contact, and in January 2018, Jimmy made an appointment to look at the Oldsmobile. W-31s have a lot of rare engine parts on them. Im willing to bet the lower fender, rockers, and rear wheel lips are shot as well. Assuming the VIN derivative shows it to be a 1970 block, and the #6 heads have the 2.000/1.625 valves, and the cam is the correct 308 degree cam, and it has the W-31-unique balancer, and it has the correct distributor, and the pistons are flattops, then there's a high probability that the motor is an original W-31. For North America, the 2022 Hyundai Tucson launches with a, A rare treat, this is the first time Porsche has published a feature like this. The one major detraction from the car was a missing carburetor that Jimmy says is "probably the hardest W-31 part to find." While it is true these are limited number models, the cost to restore this after paying the asking price will put you upside down in a hurry. Have you run across any earth-shaking discoveries in the authentication process? Photos of assorted casting numbers and stampings are provided in the gallery below. Sales receded to 920 W-30s for 1971 and just 772 for 1972. A recent study looked at the most reliable and least reliable car manufacturers, and Peugeot came out on top. Everything you need to know about your car! That really helps when you're putting one of these cars back together. He couldn't resist asking if Andy was interested in selling, and was surprised when Andy said yes. Oldsmobile built 1,352 of these muscle cars for the 1970 model year: 1,029 as Cutlass S Holiday Coupe two-door hardtops, 116 as Cutlass Sports Coupes (a two-door post), and 207 in the F-85. More than 300,000 Porsche cars were sold in 2021. If not, that would also suggest the miles advertised are off by 100k. Location: On plate attached to top left dash board. By 1970, the W-31s final production year, the body styles included either a Cutlass S (Holiday or Sports Coupe) or the F-85 Sports Coupe. ' Red Hills Rods & Classics ' is proud to offer you this absolutely gorgeous, all numbers matching, rotisserie restored & heavily documented 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Sports Coupe W31, one of only (116) built!The recipient of a nut & bolt rotisserie restoration in 2015, the final result . The Antique Automobile Club of America defines the Muscle Car Era as between 1961 and 1974, a wider range than many muscle car enthusiasts recognize. I know where there are a number of excellent condition, unrestored 4-4-2 W-30 cars that I can refer to when the occasion arises, which is an excellent source to have. Oldsmobile created interest in Cutlass performance with offerings such as the 1970-71 SX, powered by a 455 V-8, and the 1970 Rallye, with a 350 V8 and its 325 HP under the hood. This code conlsists of a prefix letter (330 V8=T(1964-65) or W(1966-67), 400 V8 = V), then a production sequence number, followed by a suffix eode letter (L = Low compresdon, E = 2-bbl Also, I would imagine that this W-31s road manners are pretty enjoyable, owing to a smaller displacement engine, with a stout horse-power rating and running through a manual transmission. Of the three years for the W-31, the 70 is the one to own for its one year only components. Oldsmobile got into the act too in 1969 with their 350 CI powered, W31 Oldsmobile Cutlass. With the most numb handling, predictable performance, suspension with no connection to the road and without raising an eyebrow of passers-by due to its ubiquitous jellybean style. The front passenger fender looks to be a repaint. These models were equipped with the Pace Car package. Through a number of conversations I was asked if I knew anyone who was interested in a 1970 Oldsmobile W-31. The transmission in a W-30 would have an OW. Thanked 11 Times in 2 Posts would be nice to see it redone,not just flipped all over the place. I can only do one car at a time, but the job gets done right.". 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass W-31 / Photos, Specs, Styling - Auto Museum Online